Puppy and Raw Diet

Thread: Puppy and Raw Diet

athao04 is offline Junior Member

DefaultPuppy and Raw Diet

Hi Everyone,

Sorry if there has already been a thread on this before, but I can't seem to locate one that has a specific answer to my questions.

I'd like to say off the bat that I do not have my puppy yet, in fact he has not been born yet. I won't be expecting to take him home until late February or early March. In the mean time I want to get ready for his arrival. Better safe than sorry right?

So I've been looking into what kind of diet to feed my puppy. I've been speaking with my cousin owns a number of dogs and swears by a raw diet. I've seen his dogs and they're all extremely healthy and toned. He owns quite a few American Pitbull Terriers (APBT) and a couple yorkshire terriers (although I could be mistaken on the two smaller dogs). He recently had a litter of 9 APBT's and they're about 7 weeks right now. He's fed them all on raw diet as well as Sure Grow 100 supplement to ensure bone, ligament, and joint growth. Here is what he does:

Puppies: Chicken back, vegetable and fruit ground up finely, a teaspoon of plain yogurt, and a softboiled egg w/ the shell cracked in half. Sure Grow 100 as listed on the box. I dont know the exact brand for the multi vitamin.

Adult APBT: One chicken leg quarter, fruit and vegetable ground up finely, teaspoon of plain yogurt, boiled egg in half w/ the shell. 1/2 a tablet of multi vitamin every other day. Once a day.

Like I said before, his dogs are lean, healthy and very active.

My questions is would it be okay for me to start my puppy on that kind of diet? I've read some places that advise against puppies being fed on a raw diet before they adults but I haven't seen any reasons why. Is it due to immunization? Is it because due to the risk of not giving them the correct ratio of phosphorus and calcium?

My breeder feeds Purina Pro Plan, should I stick to this until he is about 1 years old and then move over to a raw diet? Has anyone used Sure Grow 100 and have you seen any benefits from it?

Thanks for your help!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Erendui is offline Senior Member

I'm interested in raw diets for my puppy, but I'm too confused about it so I feed 'all-natural' quality puppy food... I'd like to hear from some experienced people too as I want to give my dog the best chance of having a long healthy life.

justine is offline Senior Member

Talk to your breeder. Many breeders feed and recommend a certain diet because they know that's what their dogs do well on. Some breeders even have it in their contract to feed a certain food.

Raw diets work well for many dogs, but with puppies, I would be very concerned with the amount of calcium. Here's an article from Fall River Labradors: Raw Feeding Primer | Fallriver Labrador Retrievers

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Erendui is offline Senior Member

My breeder gave purina puppy feed. I've switched to Latham's puppy food (I'm going to start adding Latham's large breed puppy food, which is the same flavour as the old one after reading about Large Breed puppy stuff.). Not sure if you can get that in the USA? For treats I give the occasional bit of roast chicken breast, or 'all natural puppy treats', can't remember the brand but it is basically the same ingredients as his puppy food, so not sure how it is a treat, but it works!

athao04 is offline Junior Member

Thank you for the response. I will speak with my breeder. I'll also be taking a look at the website.

Quote Originally Posted by Erendui View Post
    I'm interested in raw diets for my puppy, but I'm too confused about it so I feed 'all-natural' quality puppy food... I'd like to hear from some experienced people too as I want to give my dog the best chance of having a long healthy life.

I do the same as far as all natural, tho' vising the forums here has sparked my interest in a raw diet (home made)
    ~Paul