Orijen Large Breed Puppy issues
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Orijen Large Breed Puppy issues

Nutshell is offline Member

DefaultOrijen Large Breed Puppy issues

Hey everyone!

My 9 week old has been having some loose poop issues on Orijen LB...from what I've read this can be common with this food. The breeder was feeding him Life's Abundance which he really wasn't eating when I brought him home. I picked up some Orijen and mixed it with the LA and he LOVED it. I only had two days of LA left so he is now on Orijen totally and his poops are a little loose (soft serve). I know, I should have done a longer transition to the Orijen but I was unable to get the LA locally. My question is, how long should I allow his tummy adapt to the new food? He loves it and I don't want to give up on it but I don't want to let this go too long. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

how much are you feeding? I would try feeding slightly less. how many meals a day are you giving?
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya View Post
    how much are you feeding? I would try feeding slightly less. how many meals a day are you giving?

Feeding 3/4 of a cup 3 times per day...and he still seems ravenous!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

wvterry is offline Junior Member

Labs are ravenous. It's just their nature. I'd give it at least two weeks. Is he drinking plenty of water? What kind of treats are you giving? Pups often have loose stools from time to time. It's especially to be expected during a transition. Make sure he stays hydrated.

Anyone use Earthborn Great Plains ALS for a puppy?

Crude Protein, not less than

34.00%

Crude Fat, not less than

18.00%

Crude Fiber, not more than

4.00%

Moisture, not more than

10.00%

Calcium, not less than

1.50%

Phosphorus, not less than

1.10%

Vitamin E, not less than

300 IU/kg

Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), not less than

100 mg/kg*

L-Carnitine, not less than

15 mg/kg*

Taurine, not less than

0.05%*

Omega-6 Fatty Acids, not less than

2.60%*

Omega-3 Fatty Acids, not less than

1.90%*

Docasahexaenoic Acid (DHA), not less than

0.20%*

Brette is offline Senior Member

Make sure you transition your puppy from the breeder food over to the new food very slowly or you will get loose stool! First week add a little of the new, mostly the old, 2nd week, add a little more new, 3rd week half and half and so on.

My dogs are on orijen and its the only food that seems to keep my brown labs coat in really great shape. (He tends to get dandruffy on other foods and his coat looks crappy). That being said, some dogs prefer other food. But whatever you do, if you switch his food, do it veeerry sloowwwwly.

Taylor&Luna is offline Member

I fed Earthborn Primitive Natural and my beagle did great on it, but my lab had mushy poops! I think for some labs the high rated kibble is too rich for them. In my case, it took awhile to find the right food for my lab. I fed Blue Buffalo, Earthborn, and Purina Pro Plan from those my beagle did well on all, but my lab only has solid stools on Pro Plan. Im happy with Pro Plan because it cheap and i am getting the same results i had with the previous brands. Also you might want to hold off on feeding gain free until your dog gets older, my sister in-law fed her boxer grain free when she first got him, and then when she switched to a food that had grain the dog turned all allergic (he originally wasn't allergic to grain). I don't know how common it is for that to happen but i wouldn't risk it.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

You can give the puppy a spoonful of pure pumpkin a couple times a day. This will help make the poop the right consistancy. I wouldn't give it more than a couple of days, and if the loose stool persists, talk to your vet. Get the "pure" pumpkin in a can, not the pie filling mixture kind.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

You have a very young puppy and you have already changed the food once - please don't consider another change until you have had him on this food for at least 1-2 months. You have not fed it long enough to determine if it is going to be tolerated by him or if he will thrive on it. Frequent changes are not good and can precipitate lots of gastro issues as well as leading to your pup become rather picky.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    You have a very young puppy and you have already changed the food once - please don't consider another change until you have had him on this food for at least 1-2 months. You have not fed it long enough to determine if it is going to be tolerated by him or if he will thrive on it. Frequent changes are not good and can precipitate lots of gastro issues as well as leading to your pup become rather picky.
    I understand. This wasn't a change I wanted to make. I wish he would have eaten the Life's Abundance, I wish I did more research on Orijen, as I would have passed on it. I haven't owned a dog in several years and I had no idea how the dog food industry has grown. You can drive yourself crazy with all the different opinions...it's nuts. I am feeding him Earthborn puppy and he is doing great on it. He will stay on this until he is a year old or some reason prevents me from keeping him on it. Super soft coat, good poops and loads of energy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast