Vet Says NO to Raw Support Appreciated Please
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vet Says NO to Raw Support Appreciated Please

Barbara1 is offline Member

DefaultVet Says NO to Raw Support Appreciated Please

We've just taken Molly (12 weeks) in for her first check up and our vet says no to our raw diet. We really want to feed Molly all raw and feel good about an all raw diet but the vet got us thinking. She asked us what the diet's "carb" source was. Am I right in thinking that meat (with a 20% veggie component) is a proper source of "energy" for dogs? I eat a very low carb diet myself, no grains at all and only greens and salad stuff and I'm slim and healthy. So why should I feed my dog grains? When I read what's on the label of the bags and cans of manufactured foods I really don't want my dog to eat that stuff.

So can I please have some back up from more experienced dog owners out there. I want to stick to raw, but also I don't want my puppy to develop any deficiencies or have health problems later in life. This darned vet has got me a little nervous about this.

Our puppy's raw diet is: 70% raw ground chicken with the bones, 20% veggies, 10% chicken organs. We buy this in frozen pack from someone who raises Rotties and we trust her. Our Molly's mum is pure bred Rottie, and her dad is pure bred black Lab. She appears to be all black Lab with no Rottie features or colour so far.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Mary Jane is offline Senior Member

I would find a new vet.....definitely. I would love to feed Mya raw, but I don't know...... I did mention it to my vet and he thought raw was a very good way to go - it's just not for everyone. Just wait a bit...you will get plenty of encouragement from this board.

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Most vets are not well versed in feeding RAW. There are some Yahoo groups and a Dog Food Forum that have some well versed people in raing a pup on raw. Don't cave in to your vet, especially if you feel comfortable with feeding raw, and have the resources (freezer space, willing to bargain hunt meat sources etc).

I'd say more power to you!

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MeAndMyLabs is offline Member

There are plenty of sources out there that list the appropriate amounts of each food source you need to feed to give your dog a balanced diet.

Raw Fed Dogs

Pretty decent website there. Gives a list of recipes as well as links to other educational sites.

Definitely don't let your vet dissuade you from feeding raw. It is so much healthier and beneficial to your dog than feeding kibble. If he/she continues to harass you over this, I'd definitely find a new vet.

Cara Deo Labs
    ~ Hollyridge Ports O Call At Plsrthyme "Portis"

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

There are sources of carbs other than grains. Our Sophie is on grain free and her food has potatoes, peas, sweet potatoes etc for carbs...
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I'd be astonished and quite put out if my vet told me what I could and could not feed my dog. If my vet wanted to make those decisions for me, they could also pay the bills.

Since I am sure YOU are paying the bills, that makes you the customer and he/she the service provider. If you educate yourself about feeding raw, (which will probably make you much more well versed than your vet), you should be OK.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Barbara1 is offline Member

thanks everyone for your support. Our food supplier called and gave us the exact content of the food and we've done some more homework on the net and we're quite happy with what we feed our pup. I think our vet means well but she just does not understand the science. Many people don't understand that through glucogenisis the body makes glucose from protein - like in the human body.

mistarkos is offline Senior Member

If dogs do not go to heaven, then I prefer to follow them where they go.

ladylola is offline Junior Member

I say "get a new vet!" most vets get $$$ for pushing a certain kibble product and turn their noses up at the thought of feeding RAW, i would look for a holistic vet in your area. I would love to feed RAW to Lola just dont have the resorces. We did try for a short time and she didn't like it much, so if you can get your dog on RAW, in my opinion, it's the best!
    Melissa & Lola (the Lab)

labby is offline Senior Member

I'm with your vet on this one. I would never allow one of my puppies to be raised RAW. If you wanted to do it once the dog was full grown, then I'd say go for it, but a growing puppy? No way.

Laura

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast