Puppy Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Puppy Food

dixieloomommy is offline Junior Member

DefaultPuppy Food

I have a ten week old black lab puppy. I was just wondering how much food I should be feeding her? Right now I'm feeding her three times a day at one cup of food each time. Is this too much? To little? It's also Purina Puppy Chow, is there a brand that would be better? If there is a better brand, is it bad to switch her food after she just got used to Purina? Will it upset her stomach?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Puppy chow is a low quality food. You can read about dog food at Dog Food Reviews | Dog Food Ratings There are several rating sites out there, but I have found this one to be the most informative. Puppy chow is full of fillers. When you change your puppy's food, do it gradually over about a week. Start with adding a little of the new with the puppy chow. Gradually add more each day, till at about day 8 you are feeding the new food. As far as amount to feed, it should say on the side of the bag. Feeding 3 times a day is right. When chosing a new food, keep in mind that there is a list of foods put out by Diamond Pet foods that are on the recall list.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Agree with what Pam said. As well - what was her breeder feeding her? Hopefully not Purina Puppy Chow. Purina has much better quality products than that.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Mike Richards is offline Senior Member

I feed mine 3 times a day and will do this up until he is 6 months old. We use a meat based dry puppy food which Ozzy seems to enjoy. The amount to feed her will say on the side label. Weigh her and feed the required amount.

One thing to consider is how active she is, Ozzy is a very active Pup as he has Axel to play with so we give him a little more than i gave Axel at his size.

Hope this was helpful in some way..

IMG_5124.jpg IMG_0090.jpg IMG_5163.jpg

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Since you are already feeding a Purina product you could change to Purina selects but not the shredded variety. Many on the forum use it with wonderful results. The puppy chow is a low quality and if you can afford to do so choosing a better quality food would be wonderful for your baby. I don't feed Purina myself but have heard great things. I fed 3 cups, divided in to 3 feedings when Maxx was that age, I am not sure of the amount for a lower quality food. Good luck!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by tammyhuffman View Post
    Since you are already feeding a Purina product you could change to Purina selects but not the shredded variety. Many on the forum use it with wonderful results.
    I think you meant Pro Plan. But look for the non-shreds version. Like the All Life Stages Chicken/Rice or Lamb/Rice. You can also choose the Performance or even the Sensitivite Skin one (which is Salmon). The next step up is Selects which has no corn, wheat or soy in it. Doesn't come shredded at all.

Even just going to Purina ONE would be a step up from plain old Dog Chow.

Shelley is offline Senior Member

Purina Pro Plans Selects formulas are excellent, I used to feed the Salmon and Brown Rice one with my old guy that didn't tolerate chicken, corn, and wheat. I agree with Luv Brown, whatever you do, stay away from the shreds variety of Purina Pro Plan.

While I agree that Purina makes better quality foods than the Purina Puppy/Dog Chow, there are several old time breeders that have been feeding it to their puppies and dogs for decades and their dogs thrive on it! What was your breeder feeding? I would stick with whatever your breeder was feeding as long as you can, unless your puppy isn't thriving.

My eight to ten week old puppies eat about 3 cups a day, divided between three meals, so it sounds like you are right on. Just watch how your puppy is looking, not too fat, but not thin either, and make sure you adjust the amount of food upwards as she grows. Puppies can eat 5-6+ cups per day (depending on the calorie content of the food too) at the height of growth, around 5 -6 months of age.

Ruby's Mom is offline Member

Another good site is dogfoodadvisor.com.

Nutshell is offline Member

Dog Food Advisor is a great site. It takes time to navgate through all the information as there is a lot to learn. The site makes it fairly easy to break down the types of foods and quality of ingredients.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Richards View Post
    I feed mine 3 times a day and will do this up until he is 6 months old. We use a meat based dry puppy food which Ozzy seems to enjoy. The amount to feed her will say on the side label.
    In general, the info on the bag is calculated to sell a lot of dog food - not necessarily to properly feed your dog. Most dogs, if fed what the bag recommends, will get quite fat.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast