Rotating Diets
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rotating Diets

smudoni is offline Junior Member

DefaultRotating Diets

Hello,

I was just catching up on some of the threads, and noticed a variety of "posters" mentioning adding certain foods to the "rotation". I feed my almost 6 month old chocolate lab the same food (at least I have since I have had him). Am I supposed to be rotating with other brands/types? This is the first I have read about this.

If that is in fact what I should be doing, how come?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

Are you supposed to be rotating foods? No
    Can you rotate foods? Yes

But I wouldn't until a dog is fully grown. Why screw with it's nutrition when it's growing the most. Well, unless you are feeding crap.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

It's a philosophy - some believe in it and others don't. Not a requirement.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

javasmom is offline Senior Member

I rotate foods for a number of reasons. I am a daily rotation feeder-my girls get a different food for each meal.
    Some people agree with rotating foods, some people don't. Some people just don't understand the point.
    It works very, very well for my 2 girls.

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by javasmom View Post
    I rotate foods for a number of reasons. I am a daily rotation feeder-my girls get a different food for each meal.
    Some people agree with rotating foods, some people don't. Some people just don't understand the point.
    It works very, very well for my 2 girls.
    Being one that does it, what is the philosophy/point of rotating foods? I've always wondered if it was along the lines of why I rotate my shampoo - my hair gets "used to" one & doesn't respond as well, so I switch it up. Is this your line of thinking or is there more to it?

I couldn't rotate with Diesel because his stomach is way too sensitive & I'm just thankful I've finally found a food he does really well on.

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_Dawg View Post
    Being one that does it, what is the philosophy/point of rotating foods? I've always wondered if it was along the lines of why I rotate my shampoo - my hair gets "used to" one & doesn't respond as well, so I switch it up. Is this your line of thinking or is there more to it?

I couldn't rotate with Diesel because his stomach is way too sensitive & I'm just thankful I've finally found a food he does really well on.
    I rotate for a number of reasons.
    1-I rotate a number of brands in case there is ever a recall, issue or supply problem. I always have a number of foods to fall back on. Case in point-TOTW is one of the foods in my rotation. They are having issues. I have a number of other foods I feed, so I don't have to scramble to find a new food and go through the dreaded transition to a new food. I just cut that food out and feed the other foods. There are a number of people on the other boards that feed TOTW-they are now having to scramble to find a new food quickly. I don't have to do that.
    Also, if we are away and happen to run out of food, I will be able to find at least one of the foods in my rotation pretty much anywhere.

2-to expose them to different proteins. I like my girls being on a variety of proteins and not just one all the time. There is a school of thought that says that exposing them to different proteins reduces the chances of developing an intolerance to a certain protein the way that sometimes happens when they are only fed one protein day after day, year after year. Some experts feel that being fed the same protein increases the chances of developing an intolerance to that protein.

3-I like giving them variety. I don't like to eat the same food every day, so why should they? I like to change up proteins, formulas and protein levels. The foods I feed vary in protein levels from 25%-35%. I can give them a higher protein food if they are going to be more active, give a lower protein food if they are going to be less active.

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by javasmom View Post
    I rotate for a number of reasons.
    1-I rotate a number of brands in case there is ever a recall, issue or supply problem. I always have a number of foods to fall back on. Case in point-TOTW is one of the foods in my rotation. They are having issues. I have a number of other foods I feed, so I don't have to scramble to find a new food and go through the dreaded transition to a new food. I just cut that food out and feed the other foods. There are a number of people on the other boards that feed TOTW-they are now having to scramble to find a new food quickly. I don't have to do that.
    Also, if we are away and happen to run out of food, I will be able to find at least one of the foods in my rotation pretty much anywhere.

2-to expose them to different proteins. I like my girls being on a variety of proteins and not just one all the time. There is a school of thought that says that exposing them to different proteins reduces the chances of developing an intolerance to a certain protein the way that sometimes happens when they are only fed one protein day after day, year after year. Some experts feel that being fed the same protein increases the chances of developing an intolerance to that protein.

3-I like giving them variety. I don't like to eat the same food every day, so why should they? I like to change up proteins, formulas and protein levels. The foods I feed vary in protein levels from 25%-35%. I can give them a higher protein food if they are going to be more active, give a lower protein food if they are going to be less active.
    Seems logical enough, though with anything not everyone would agree. Very good point about the recall issue or if it's out of stock. TOTW & Fromm were in the top 3 when I was searching for a new food for Diesel, I ended up with Acana as it was in stock. Ever had any issues with Fromm?

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_Dawg View Post
    Seems logical enough, though with anything not everyone would agree. Very good point about the recall issue or if it's out of stock. TOTW & Fromm were in the top 3 when I was searching for a new food for Diesel, I ended up with Acana as it was in stock. Ever had any issues with Fromm?
    I have never had a single issue with Fromm at all.
    LOVE their food and know that if I ever stop rotating or have to pick just one food-it will be Fromm.
    My girls have done amazing on it.
    I rotate all 4 of their grain free formulas right now.
    I really can't say enough good things about Fromm.

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

What is the issue with TOTW? Just because they háček suspended the production out of the SC plant?

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

Quote Originally Posted by Belles mom View Post
    What is the issue with TOTW? Just because they háček suspended the production out of the SC plant?
    Alot of dogs seem to be getting sick from a bunch of different Diamond products-TOTW, Kirkland, etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast