laking diet?? :(
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: laking diet?? :(

ElTigreChino is offline Junior Member

Angrylaking diet?? :(

hey guys i took Frodo to get desexed yesterday it was a day surgery thingy. when i went to collect him the vet told me that i have him on a very insufficient diet even though he looks extremely fit and healthy.
    right now i'm feeding him chicken carcasses (frozen) and he gets a meaty lamb bone every other day to keep him happy during the day. i also feed him some carrots, apples, and a couple of spoons of yoghurt a week..oh and a tablespoon of flaxseed oil a week as well. does anyone have any suggestions on improvements or things i should stop feeding him? i would rather stay away from kibble and continue on a raw diet since (to me) he's doing really well. beautiful coat and everything.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

What about the diet did the vet say is insufficient. I would probably ask questions, and listen to the vet. He may be talking about nutrients he doesn't feel your boy is getting. From what I see from what you have listed, I think it may be carbohydrates that are lacking.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Many vets do not understand a raw diet. There are raw feeding forums that probably could evaluate the diet better than I, but the diet does not sound too bad to me. Does your dog get any organ meats or solid muscle meat other than what is on the carcass?

Dog Food Chat Forum may be a place to check out for a wide variety of opinions on feeding raw.

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Hershey123 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by ElTigreChino View Post
    hey guys i took Frodo to get desexed yesterday it was a day surgery thingy. when i went to collect him the vet told me that i have him on a very insufficient diet even though he looks extremely fit and healthy.
    right now i'm feeding him chicken carcasses (frozen) and he gets a meaty lamb bone every other day to keep him happy during the day. i also feed him some carrots, apples, and a couple of spoons of yoghurt a week..oh and a tablespoon of flaxseed oil a week as well. does anyone have any suggestions on improvements or things i should stop feeding him? i would rather stay away from kibble and continue on a raw diet since (to me) he's doing really well. beautiful coat and everything.
    How many grams of protein and fat is the dog getting per day? How many calories? How many milligrams of B vitamins and zinc? What is the calcium/phosphorous ratio? Omega 6:3 ratio?

I would switch to a good kibble and save the animal.

It doesn't sound like you have enough expertise to feed raw.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I would ask the vet what does he mean. People like Karen know their stuff and Patty (Snowco Labradors). You could pm or email her.
    Also Kate(Baloo) used too feed raw, but has become busy, but would give you information. There are others I can't think right now.

I used to go here before Erns was diagnosed with Crohns. nznaturaldog : NZ Natural Dog

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Hershey123 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Belles mom View Post
    Many vets do not understand a raw diet. There are raw feeding forums that probably could evaluate the diet better than I, but the diet does not sound too bad to me. Does your dog get any organ meats or solid muscle meat other than what is on the carcass?

Dog Food Chat Forum may be a place to check out for a wide variety of opinions on feeding raw.
    How much do you wanna bet most vets understand raw feeding? What they know is that plenty of nice dogs are being ruined by their owners who go on the internet to become "Phd's" in nutrition.

This dog's diet is atrocious. A bunch of bone, a few teaspoons of flax oil and yogurt a week????

bett is offline Senior Member

if you want to feed a raw diet, research the barf diet and see what your dog needs. i agree, that most vets don't know much about feeding raw or dog foods in general, but if your vet already said something regarding his diet, perhaps he does know what he's talking about. certainly listen to your vet before you listen to anyone on the internet. but, i would research the barf diet. it works for some, but not for others. for awhile i was feeding raw to my two and supplementing with some eggs, raw and the shell, and yogurt, and fruit, and supplements. i didn't feed all meats=only chicken necks, gizzards, turkey necks (when i could get them) and tho my husband is a butcher, he refused using certain bones tho raw feeders give them. then i got a third dog and she doesn't do well on raw so....i went back to a decent kibble, with some yogurt and fruit for the original two boys. she doesn't do well with yogurt (non fat organic plain).
    my vet and i have had many a conversation about raw (he's against it but admits knows little about it), and food in general. he told me, at cornell, they give vets one course in nutrition. so, investigate for yourself and make wise decisions. there are plenty of folks who feed raw or home cook and supplement appropriately.
    don't be bullied by anyone and make your decision after investigating.

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hershey123 View Post
    How much do you wanna bet most vets understand raw feeding? What they know is that plenty of nice dogs are being ruined by their owners who go on the internet to become "Phd's" in nutrition.

This dog's diet is atrocious. A bunch of bone, a few teaspoons of flax oil and yogurt a week????
    You're right, believing people on the Internet is stupid. Especially people who love to state their opinion as fact, but refuse to give a basis for their "expertise."

ElTigreChino, seek advice from the people Kassabella recommended, and discuss the specifics with your vet. Find out what he/she feels is lacking.
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

[QUOTE=BauersMom;1731000]You're right, believing people on the Internet is stupid. Especially people who love to state their opinion as fact, but refuse to give a basis for their "expertise."

Bump...Debi!
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Hi there!

I also believe in feeding a raw diet, however you DO have to make sure that it is relatively balanced. An unbalanced diet is something that you won't see ill effects from for a long time (maybe even years!) so you really can't go by the dogs current presentation. Not solely, anyhoo.

I agree with the recommendations to join some dog food forums. Somewhat surprisingly, I found the raw feeding forum on Dogster extremely helpful. They have charts and other tools you can plug info into to help you balance the diet over time.

And very true about vets not being very well educated on diet, however given your description of the dogs diet I do think this one has a point. You haven't listed any organs at all, which is concerning as they are needed for vitamins/minerals. Also it looks like very little variety is being fed.

So yes vets are under qualified to comment on nutrition in general, in the same way that your GP is also not a nutritionist. However, I do think you are feeding an unbalanced diet, that with a little more research you could easily rectify.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast