What would you recommend???
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would you recommend???

English is offline Member

DefaultWhat would you recommend???

I have a 4 1/2 month old yellow lab. I was feeding him Fromm puppy gold. He has a skin flair up and the vet may want to put him on medicine. I would prefer to try a more holistic approach first. My trainer had suggested no chicken and to switch to a beef food. So I started to introduce Fromm 4 star grain free beef. My poor puppy has been up with diarrhea all night. So today he is going to have white rice and boiled hamburger. What would you suggest for kibble. I was looking at Pinnacle trout and sweet potato. There is so much to pick from. Where do you start????

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

javasmom is offline Senior Member

Did you do a slow transition to the Beef Fromm or just a cold turkey switch? Pups can have sensitive stomachs, so cold turkey switches can be hard on their digestive systems, causing tummy upset for a few days.
    I feed my girls both Fromm Surf & Turf and Fromm Beef Frittata...they do excellent on both.
    Fromm is a top quality food.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

I agree with the above, if you just gave him teh new food with no transition that may be what caused the diareah. Once you have his stomach settled try a slow transition from old food to new food over a week or even two (feed 3/4 old feed and 1/4 new food, then 1/2 and half, then 1/4 old and 3/4 new). You may have to spend many days at each step.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

SharonaZamboni is offline Senior Member

Bean also had trouble with grain free foods when he started them at about 4-5 months, maybe they are too rich. He had plenty of boiled rice and hamburger meals. I finally found a lamb and pearl millet kibble that worked. That food was like a miracle-LOL. There is a one-day transition to this food, recommended by manufacturer.
    Now that he's older, I am trying other foods and he doesn't get diarrhea like when he was younger. Good luck, it can be quite a PITA!
    Last edited by SharonaZamboni; 11-21-2011 at 01:46 PM.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Sophie is an allergic dog. Our vet told us to chose a food with a protein she had not had before and to go grain free. We chose Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream. It is salmon based and grain free. I had been feeding Iams puppy and then Purina 1 lamb and rice. She got worse on the lamb and rice. She had repeated ear infections and her hair was falling out. She also had a bumpy rash on her inner thighs, and scabs on her from all the scratching. We switched her, didn't do it gradually either because of her situation. Within a week we could see a change. Within 2 or 3 weeks her hair was growing back, she was happier, and she stopped having ear infections. She has done great on the food. Now she is filled out and muscley and her coat is beautiful. The only time she scratches is when she counter surfs and steals bread or crackers or something she shouldn't have.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

English is offline Member

Thank you all for your input. It's like having a new baby in the house. I was so nervous with how he was feeling last night. Today seems better. Hoping for a great day tomorrow.

coley235 is offline Member

Beef is actually bad for them. As is lamb(for allergy prone dogs). I feed Natures Recipe Farm Select. It's turkey with veggie chunks. I put salmon liquid supplement on it and they love it!

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by coley235 View Post
    Beef is actually bad for them. As is lamb(for allergy prone dogs). I feed Natures Recipe Farm Select. It's turkey with veggie chunks. I put salmon liquid supplement on it and they love it!
    Beef is bad for all dogs? Since when? Do you have science/documentation to back this up?
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

coley235 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    Beef is bad for all dogs? Since when? Do you have science/documentation to back this up?
    Everything I have read, and all the dogs I've known with skin allergies are worse when fed beef. Turkey and salmon are the best that I have found. Besides, most beef foods contain dye and grain.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by coley235 View Post
    Everything I have read, and all the dogs I've known with skin allergies are worse when fed beef. Turkey and salmon are the best that I have found. Besides, most beef foods contain dye and grain.
    Some dogs do well on a beef diet and can't tolerate other proteins. There are quality beef based foods available. The key is finding what works for your dog - and for some, beef does work.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast