Need some help on kibble
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some help on kibble

tamfitness is offline Junior Member

SmileNeed some help on kibble

I have feed all kinds of foods over the years.

I have a Golden who will be 13
    A lab mix who is 12
    a Lab who is 4

right now I have them on a solid gold kibble that just went up in price a lot.

So I have seen alot out there about Diamond. I know they have had recalls in the past. How are they now? Do you think I should buy the 2 older ones a sr. kibble and the other a large breed?

Just trying to stay cost effective yet feed a good food with no wheat, corn or yucky stuff!

Hope you can all help...what do you recommend or has worked for you.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

dogmom is offline Senior Member

Do any of your dogs have health issues?

No Health issues.

My 12 year old is a skinny dog....I think it is just the age that she is and loss of muscle. My golden is older has hard time moving around. My 4 year old lab is in great health.

Thanks

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

javasmom is offline Senior Member

I feed Taste of the Wild (a Diamond food) to my 2 girls-Java (2 1/2 years old) and Moka (2 years old).
    I haven't had any problems with it and my girls are doing amazing on it.
    I would not feed a senior food to your older 2 unless they have health issues that require it.
    All 3 can be on the same food.
    I have fed 3 flavors of TOTW-Sierra Mountain (lamb) High Prairie (venison & bison) and Pacific Stream (salmon). My girls have done equally well on all 3. I rotate foods and Pacific Stream and Sierra Mountain are currently in my rotation.
    It is also cost effective-$35/30 lbs in my area......great price for a good food.

Yelloweyz is offline Senior Member

I bounce back and forth between Taste of the Wild and Earthborn Holistics, both are grain free....but with my 13 year old, sometimes he wants the smaller kibble (Earthborn) when his teeth bother him, and other times he'll eat the other. I find these are pretty reasonably priced. I used to use Diamond, the only reason why I changed was because I needed a grain free, and the Diamond Senior didnt come grainfree.

Mom to Indy 6/12/98 to 11/16/11 (always in my heart), and Jobe 8-14-2000 to 6/24/2013 (Working TDI) English Labs, and Annie our Golden Retriever (TDI), and Kodiak (who will one day hopefully be a TDI dog if he doesn't kill me first).

Thanks

Ok what is the reason to go grain free?

Quote Originally Posted by tamfitness View Post
    Thanks

Ok what is the reason to go grain free?

Grains *can* cause inflammation in joints. So, in older dogs, sometimes feeding grain free can eliminate that variable for their joints.
    As an added benefit of grain free, many dogs will lean out and muscle up. No weight gain.

jparker is offline Junior Member

I was on raw diet for 6 months but have just decided to try some of the premium kibbles again as we are not sure we trust our raw food source- also having issues finding any conclusive evidence for or against raw food. Most of the websites are stuff that should have been gone in the 80's and many make absolute claims of dogs as carnivores based on teeth, but my dog eats grass every time she is out in the yard, which seems to point to some level of omnivorism.

We got Orijen to start with after reading a bunch of pet reviews that seemed to position Orijen, Wellness and TOW at the top of the list. However, I then found about 100 anecdotal stories of bug infested wellness products. If she reacts poorly to the protein amount (can't imagine why after raw diet), we will probably try TOW or Acana.

Will try to remember to post a follow up.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by jparker View Post
    I was on raw diet for 6 months but have just decided to try some of the premium kibbles again as we are not sure we trust our raw food source- also having issues finding any conclusive evidence for or against raw food. Most of the websites are stuff that should have been gone in the 80's and many make absolute claims of dogs as carnivores based on teeth, but my dog eats grass every time she is out in the yard, which seems to point to some level of omnivorism.

We got Orijen to start with after reading a bunch of pet reviews that seemed to position Orijen, Wellness and TOW at the top of the list. However, I then found about 100 anecdotal stories of bug infested wellness products. If she reacts poorly to the protein amount (can't imagine why after raw diet), we will probably try TOW or Acana.

Will try to remember to post a follow up.
    I quite like Go! or Now! dog foods. and while expensive, the fromm grain free line is good too!
    I fed Rocky Orijen for years, we've been rotating as I wanted to reduce the protein level in the food (orijen is super high protein).
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya View Post
    I quite like Go! or Now! dog foods. and while expensive, the fromm grain free line is good too!
    I fed Rocky Orijen for years, we've been rotating as I wanted to reduce the protein level in the food (orijen is super high protein).
    Fromm grain free foods are also in my rotation.
    If I had to pick just one food to feed it would be Fromm..hands down.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast