Diet for Simba
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diet for Simba

vamsi is offline Member

DefaultDiet for Simba

Simba is 3months old now and m feeding him "royal canin Labrador retriver junior" dog food.

I feed him 3 times a day
    1st meal: 8am,250ml of milk and a boiled egg
    2nd meal: 1pm,A big bowl of dog food
    3rd meal: 9pm,A big bowl of dog food

Is that sufficient for a puppy for its healthy growth or do i need to include any other nutritious food to that?

The types of dog food available here are Royal canin,Pedigree,Drools(as of my knowledge as i dint find any other brands in my town).So which one of these should i go on with?

Thanks in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Milk can cause diarrhea. Give him a little plain yogurt instead. I never heard of feeding puppies boiled eggs before, so I don't know...also, I am not sure what you mean by "big bowl"....I give my 11 week old about 3/4 cup 3 to 4 times a day. She also gets cheese for training treats. I still put hot water on her puppy formula dry food.

vamsi is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sophiesmama View Post
    Milk can cause diarrhea. Give him a little plain yogurt instead. I never heard of feeding puppies boiled eggs before, so I don't know...also, I am not sure what you mean by "big bowl"....I give my 11 week old about 3/4 cup 3 to 4 times a day. She also gets cheese for training treats. I still put hot water on her puppy formula dry food.
    Firstly congratulations for your new puppy Sophie....she looks adorable
    I had been feeding him milk along with the puppy food from the time i brought him....he never seemed to have any digestion problem though.
    A 'big bowl' maybe measuring equal to that of 2 cups(approximately)..even i soak his food in water before feeding him.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

vamsi is offline Member

What did u mean by 'yogurt'?..is it something like curd!

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Yogurt has good digestive enzymes in it. it is dairy based, and is a base in many Greek sauces....not sure how else to describe it. Personally, I would split the kibble up between all three meals, adjusting the amounts according to your pups weight. I don't think the egg hurts anything, but do not include the shell at this point (too much calcium perhaps). The milk is not necessary either. I feed raw, but as far as kibbles go, a good kibble should have meat (of some sort....chicken, turkey etc. Or meat meal as the first two or three ingredients. There are A LOT of VERY STRONG opinions on what is a good kibble. Basically it comes down to whatever works for your dog.

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I feed Royal Canine and usually feed the recommnded feed on the packaging as a start, then lower or increase if needed. My brother has always feed milk with half water and no problems, but no something I do.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I am sure that you don't have tremendous variety in dog food where you live. I would stick with what you are feeding and stop giving milk at all. It is not appropriate food for a dog.

Feed the kibble at all 3 meals.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

vamsi is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sophiesmama View Post
    Milk can cause diarrhea. Give him a little plain yogurt instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Belles mom View Post
    Yogurt has good digestive enzymes in it. it is dairy based, and is a base in many Greek sauces....not sure how else to describe it. Personally, I would split the kibble up between all three meals, adjusting the amounts according to your pups weight. I don't think the egg hurts anything, but do not include the shell at this point (too much calcium perhaps). The milk is not necessary either. I feed raw, but as far as kibbles go, a good kibble should have meat (of some sort....chicken, turkey etc. Or meat meal as the first two or three ingredients. There are A LOT of VERY STRONG opinions on what is a good kibble. Basically it comes down to whatever works for your dog.
    We dont get yogurt here in india but read that curd and yogurt are almost the same except that some of the flavours are added in yogurt,so will replace curd over milk in simba's meal.Thankyou

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by vamsi View Post
    We dont get yogurt here in india but read that curd and yogurt are almost the same except that some of the flavours are added in yogurt,so will replace curd over milk in simba's meal.Thankyou
    Not necessary on a daily basis. You are putting additional calcium into your puppy's diet which could cause him to grow faster than he should.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

vamsi is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    Not necessary on a daily basis. You are putting additional calcium into your puppy's diet which could cause him to grow faster than he should.
    He seems to be growing fast but he doesnt seem fat either and always wants to eat more n more(more is never enough for him).I have recently reduced a meal for him before i used to give four meals a day and now i have reduced it for 3 meals a day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast