Raw meat from wild animals?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raw meat from wild animals?

Scout08 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRaw meat from wild animals?

Is there a concern about raw feeding the meat that you would get from hunting? I have been getting offers to tag along with friends on hog hunting trips and I was thinking about dropping some meat off with my brother for his if we get anything. I know these guys told me they normally don't eat the heart, liver, kidney, or testicles. Hopefully once I get my own dog I can get more into hunting (something my mom would never let anyone in my family do when we were kids) and bring him some good fresh meat. Down here in Alabama there is a pretty steady population of hogs, deer, geese, and turkey... My mom is going to kill me when I tell her I am going to go hunting!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

I don't know about raw wild meat for dogs (eta: found some info here: Practical Answers to Practical Questions About Raw ) , but I do know that wild boars are beyond nasty when cornered - are you planning on using a labrador to bay/corner or catch a wild hog? I hope you have a good credit rating with your vet.
    Last edited by kaytris; 03-02-2011 at 11:08 PM.

Well, I don't have a dog yet, so maybe one day, but I don't know. I would rather bait it and shoot it. (the hog... I would never harm a dog!) But like I said, my knowledge of hunting is limited to say the least. I am good with archery, but I have not been hunting ever. Hopefully my first time is coming up this month on a friend's private land, he uses great Danes for tracking. Thank you for the link! I suppose the key to this is freezing the meat for a few days first.
    Last edited by Scout08; 03-02-2011 at 11:13 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Not sure what you're planning on hunting, but labradors are generally used as retrievers of small game.. boar hunting usually involves catahoula hog dogs, pitbulls or dogo argentino's.

Yeah, I am actually more interested in hunting birds, but I have this offer to go hog hunting, and I figured it would be a good learning experience.

Sure.. but better to plan on leaving the (future) labrador at home.

4yelloweyedogs is offline Senior Member

I have fed the meat and organs from deer.... we had friends that hunted white tail and they saved different parts for us, and also when they cleaned out their freezers , I got the goodies, instead of them throwing it away ... as long as the animal is being hunted for human consumption, then it will be safe for dogs.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

http://theyelloweyedog.weebly.com/

joflake is offline Senior Member

We give our dogs raw venison all the time.

deidra is offline Senior Member

I could see you using him for tracking right not baiting. Aboutme Now remember it takes allot of training and do not let the dog attack the animal the dog could be seriously injured.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

Matsuro is offline Senior Member

Good luck! I was reading online and some places online sale some pretty exotic types of meat! My BLW goes hunting once a year, he hunts deer. When you take hunting trips you can still buy meat from the butcher, even if you haven't caught anything. That is what he does if he can't catch his own.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast