Grapefruit Seed Extract?

Thread: Grapefruit Seed Extract?

swanny320 is offline Member

DefaultGrapefruit Seed Extract?

My 16 week old puppy is having GI issues and the vet says he is negative on everything yet can't offer a good solution to this problem. It's gone on for 3 weeks (diarrhea, soft stool). I still can't help but wonder if maybe he has a bacteria or giardia infection. I keep reading about Grapefruit Seed Extract? Has anyone used this? Does it work? Is it harmful in anyway?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

I wouldn't give any fruit seed, especially an extract which could be concentrated. The reason is many fruit seeds contain arsenic, apple seeds for sure. In natural form it would take a lot of apple seeds to harm the dog, but processed, I don't know. I also know nothing about grapefruit seeds.

So your vet can't find anything. I assume specific screens for ghiardia and the carcadia<sp?> have been done. You could try pumpkin, not the pie filling in a can, but real canned pumpkin, or an immodium tablet. About half a tablet for a 25 lb dog, full tablet for over 50 lb dog.

What you feeding? How much? Have you tried putting him on boiled chicken and rice to settle everything down? Cut out all treats, ALL TREATS. Feed one thing, whatever feed you are using, for a couple days. If no improvement, consider changing to another food. But try to find a food with different makeup. i.e. Chicken instead of beef, rice but no corn or wheat, i.e. try to isolate if the food is causing the problem. Also, how much are you feeding him? Sometimes a dog that is fed too much will have soft or loose stools. I am surprised if your vet has not gone over all this with you.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

swanny320 is offline Member

Hi,

Okay thanks for the advice on the grapfruit seed. I didn't know all that.

The vet says that he thinks it's the food but I did a change in food and chose something that didn't have chicken and nothing has improved. He also adviced NOT to give pumpkin. He said it actually loosens stool (which is contradictory to what I read and what the breeder told me). I like this vet but I feel like in this matter, they haven't really given me a lot of info.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Laceezmom is offline Senior Member

My puppy had GI issues after she came home in October. I do not know for sure but it may have been started by her eating morning glory seeds from the vines which grow on our fence. She was always negative for any kind of parasite. One thing to try is a probiotic and also adding plain yogurt to the food - about 1 tablespoon. We had to transition very very slowly from the low residue prescription kibble which was good for the poop but not so good for the pup. I did a tablespoon increase a day until the transition was complete.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by swanny320 View Post
    Hi,

Okay thanks for the advice on the grapfruit seed. I didn't know all that.

The vet says that he thinks it's the food but I did a change in food and chose something that didn't have chicken and nothing has improved. He also adviced NOT to give pumpkin. He said it actually loosens stool (which is contradictory to what I read and what the breeder told me). I like this vet but I feel like in this matter, they haven't really given me a lot of info.
    Vets in the past did not get a ton of training regarding nutrition. Apparently that is changing but of he is not a recent graduate I would assume his knowledge of nutrition is not vast.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Morgane is offline Junior Member

I heard that grape fruit seeds increase the immunity, but never tried on myself or on my dogs !!!

Spike's Mom is offline Senior Member

You didn't mention what food you switched to but Wellness, although very healthy, is hard on some puppies (Spike). Are you feeding him dry at all or just canned? We feed him pro plan puppy dry and canned for moisture/flavor and if his stool starts getting too soft from his treats we focus more on http://www.cloudstar.com/8B85D0640D2...F4A63CD2FE24B3They're on the bland side.

Nancy

Mom to Spike & Tiller