Pancreatitis and raw fed dog

Thread: Pancreatitis and raw fed dog

Labs4me is offline Senior Member

QuestionPancreatitis and raw fed dog

I have a 7 year old boy here who I just had to the vets early this morning, he was diagnosed with pancreatits. I have heard of this condition but have no real experience with it previously. From what I have read so far this is not very common in raw fed dogs. Any one have any information they can share? Thanks.
    Bonnie ~ Ellsworth Labradors
    Home to Ellsworth's Playing For Keeps CGC, U-CH SHR Ellsorth's Absolut Pleasure, Ellsworth's Good Luck Charm
    Gone but not forgotten: Franklin's Lucy of Ellsworth; Franklin's Rare Treat; U-CD Franklin's Rockin' Robin CDX, WC, CGC; Alpha-Omega's Mustang Salli CDX, CGC

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Top Of The Hill is offline Senior Member

When my last Lab was about 10 or 11 she had a bout of pancreatitis. She wasn't a dog that ever got sick so when she vomited a number of times over a fairly short period of time we got her into the Vet right away. She was already getting dehydrated. This was many years ago, but I do remember that they stressed it was a serious condition that needed to be treated promptly. Fortunately she was fine after this and never had a reoccurence, but we were very careful about what we fed her. I know we changed her diet somewhat (possibly to a Vet diet), and I remember that it had to be a low fat diet. Sorry I'm vague about this, but as I said it's many years ago. She was not on a raw diet and never had any stomach problems prior to this.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Often dogs who have a high fat diet or recently gotten in to the trash or have been fed table scraps, or dogs who 'steal' or are fed greasy 'people food' get it.

A friends dog ate a whole ham at Xmas and was very sick with pancreatitis. Before Ernie was diagnosed with IBD they thought it was that. He was low fat vet prescription diet
    for 6 weeks. Usually a bland diet helps them to recover. If a dog is prone to it you have to be very careful with food.
    Did the vet suggest what food to give.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

My now 9 year old Rhys had pancreatitis as a young dog, about 17 months old.

He is fed raw now, and has no trouble at all.
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

lisa is offline Senior Member

My first lab Casey had a bout of pancreatitis at about 9 or 10 years old. She had gotten into a whole jar of peanut butter. A day or so later she was really sick. She spent 3 days at the vet of IV fluids...they weren't sure if she was even going to make it through the first night. I was told it can be from a high fat diet. Casey never ate raw. She was placed on a bland diet and then on prescription diet low cal dry dog. She went on to live till the age of 13 1/2.

Just be careful I was told once they have it...they are prone to get it again. Good luck. Keep us posted

sage5323 is offline Junior Member

Go to your vet and get on Royal Canin's Gastro Intestinal Low Fat. This will work miracles for your dog with pancreatitis