Anyone Feed Oma's Pride ?

Thread: Anyone Feed Oma's Pride ?

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

DefaultAnyone Feed Oma's Pride ?

I used to feed the pre packaged raw food patties to buck but the prices went up so high I could no longer keep up. So I switched him to a dry food. He is doing fine on it but I'd prefer to feed him raw. I just found a site about "Oma's Pride" and was curious if anyone fed this and just some info about it.

TIA!
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

That is one of the raw foods I was considering, but I couldn't get it readily in my area so I feed the Natur's Variety raw patties.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Why not DIY raw, prey model style? It seems complicated and confusing, but it's super easy once you get the hang of it.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo317 View Post
    Why not DIY raw, prey model style? It seems complicated and confusing, but it's super easy once you get the hang of it.
    Laziness?

Also, I never quite got the hang of getting everything packaged and put together when I go camping and such...*sigh*
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

Deanna1002 is offline Senior Member

i see that this was posted a while ago, but i do feed oma's to my dogs. i do wish the mixes had less veg. and more bone to it, but other then that i love this raw food.

I store up my freezer with all different mixes, duck and bone, lamb and bone, tripe, salmon, rabbit, buffalo, sardines, etc. and give them something different each meal (i feed more beef than any other).
    I do also get the marrow bones and any other raw bone so that they get the calcium they need as well as clean teeth.

I add a vitamin supplement and probiotics. Some cranberry powder and apple cider vinegar does go in their bowl so they can get rid of their uti's.

blaisberg is offline Member

I feed Bravo Balance but my vet feeds her dogs Oma's Pride. They seem to be priced similarly and Oma's Pride.

ABeal is offline Junior Member

I started my 4 month old puppy on Oma's two weeks ago and she LOVES it! I know in my head that her doggie tummy can handle raw bones and have even given her a few pieces of raw chicken, which she crunches down with great gusto. But then I spend the rest of the day watching her and worrying about the bones. So for me Oma's is the best of both worlds, unless I want to spend $600 for a grinder. I add raw eggs, yogurt, a splash of cider vinegar, a bit of garlic, canola oil, Missing Link, probiotics, and 500 of EstherC per day. The only problem I've had is that she's a little bit constipated. I started adding 1/4 cup of Fiber One cereal 3xday to her meals but it's been only marginally helpful. I'm thinking maybe grated carrots? I can't find plain canned pumpkin this time of year. Anybody have a suggestion re what to do for a constipated puppy? Anne

talleyJudy is offline Senior Member

*bumping back to the top* because I am curious about knowledgeable answers to 'ABeal's' question.

This is just a shot in the dark,,,, but I would consider adding a tiny bit of fat - animal based - for instance a short 1/8 teaspoon of bacon drippings, chicken skin/fat, turkey skin/fat which would be a whopping 1/4 teaspoon/day if fed twice a day; or maybe a walnut sized patty of raw high fat hamburger meat twice a day. Just guessing here......

But I, too, really would like to read the responses of experienced raw feeders.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." author Will Rogers

Auggie 12/29/95 ~ 01/15/09

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

I am not experienced by any means, but I added some ground Flax seed to the kids raw and saw looser stools (well too loose in Belle's case, but I added too much too soon). Nature's Farmacy has a product called Gain and Shine that is animal based fat (chicken and Parmesan cheese) that I added when I grind my own venison (no fat in that!).
    Last edited by Belles mom; 05-12-2010 at 12:08 PM.

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

ABeal is offline Junior Member

My vet suggested Metamucil, the plain powder, and that has helped enormously! I just mix in a spoonful with each meal and her stools are formed but not hard. She is truly thriving on this diet! The biggest problem is the expense but for now it's affordable. I guess I'm spending about $125/month on food and supplements. It would be even more except that my breeder is a distributor and sells it to her puppy people at cost. I'd really like to get another Lab when my pup a little older but the expense of the food is giving me some pause here.