Allergies and Iching.

Thread: Allergies and Iching.

jackson32 is offline Junior Member

DefaultAllergies and Iching.

What can I give my lab to help with this?

Thank-you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Well - not a lot to go on in your question.

This can be related to environment OR to food or both. For starters - what are you feeding this dog?
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

He has both food, and enviromental allergies. I'm feeding him food that doesn't contain his allergens, and he receives a monthly shot of a serum (which is composed of what he is allergeric to) - the idea being to "de-sensitize" him. However, I find that he still iches (alot at times). Another Lab owner told me to start adding Vitamin E, Salmon Oil, and Plain Yougurt to his food. I've just started doing this, so it's too early to see if this helps. I also bath him once a week with a Oatmeal shampoo. I give him Benadryl when I have to, but who wants to always medicate their dog like that? Just looking to hear from people who have gone through the same thing, and what has worked for them?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I would never bathe a Lab once a month much less once a week. That could be a huge part of your problem right there. Bathing removes the oils in their coat that they need. Mine are never bathed and are clean and smell great. If he is reacting to grasses/pollen then wiping him down daily should help. Even if you hose him off weekly that would be OK - but no soap at all please.

Not sure what yogurt is supposed to do for your dog. Dairy is not really a normal aspect of canine nutrition - I would stop that. A fish oil is fine - the vitamin E is probably duplication of what the fish oil is doing.

It sounds like you've been to an allergist - Correct? I have actually never heard of anyone doing allergy shots for their dog before. Having had them myself - I would try many other methods before going that route with a dog. It takes years to get any sort of result.

What food are you feeding? It would help to know that. There are good and bad choices - even if your dog did not "test" postive for some ingredients, eliminating them may help.

ThreeTs is offline Senior Member

Might look into Vitamin C for the allergies, Ester-C with bioflavanoids is what I would use.

If dairy is a problem, get a jar of Probios powder, you might do that anyway since the Probios will have higher probiotic levels than yogurt.

The Vitamin E is not a "duplication" of the fish oil's action. Fish oil is high in omega 3 essential fatty acids, which oxidize easily. Oxidation is one way that cells get damaged. The dog has to have enough antioxidants in its body to get the value of the omega 3 without harmful oxidation. Vitamin E is an antioxidant. For that reason, many people say that fish oil should always be accompanied by vitamin E when supplementing.

brody is offline Senior Member

if you can get away with "just" benedryl during a bad flare up consider yourself lucky
    I agree medication is not a perfect long term solution but humanity matters too ...
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    It sounds like you've been to an allergist - Correct? I have actually never heard of anyone doing allergy shots for their dog before. Having had them myself - I would try many other methods before going that route with a dog. It takes years to get any sort of result.

What food are you feeding? It would help to know that. There are good and bad choices - even if your dog did not "test" postive for some ingredients, eliminating them may help.
    Allergy shots for dogs are quite common actually The success rate in dogs is MUCH better than humans too. I also had allergy shots, mine helped a lot though within about a year and a half.

Have you expressed the lack of benefit from the vaccines to your dermatologist? They could talk with you about changing the frequency of injections or the strength. Don't change without talking to them first.

Does your dog have skin infections? That would be a GOOD reason to bathe frequently. Unless you're showing your lab there's little reason to worry about having that "perfect" coat that people claim bathing ruins. Chances are a lab with very bad allergies doesn't have that coat anyway You want to soothe the skin and remove pollen, other allergens and degrease over-greasy skin or moisturize dry skin (Depending on what your lab has).

What protein food are you feeding? The blood tests for food allergies aren't reliable, so I'd be trying something with hydrolyzed protein (Royal Canin HP or Purina HA) for 12 weeks or home cooking, then adding in individual ingredients to test for reactions.

Personally I'd also be quite happy giving only antihistamines to a dog allergic enough to warrant allergy injections, like Brody said. Do they seem to help with the itching?

My main suggestion if you're not happy with the progress would be to talk to your dermatologist or go see a homeopathic vet for a treatment individualized for your pet.

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

Thanks Jess - I (obviously) did not know that about allergy injections. I did them for 5 years and stopped finally because they made me feel worse than the allergies. Why do they work better in dogs?

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    Thanks Jess - I (obviously) did not know that about allergy injections. I did them for 5 years and stopped finally because they made me feel worse than the allergies. Why do they work better in dogs?
    I honestly don't know why they work better in dogs, but I do know the dermatology service here quotes success rates as high as 90% and frequently assures people who have had allergy shots that they see much more success than in humans I'm guessing it has something to do with the immune systems of dogs versus those of humans - but I don't know a bit of anything about humans, so I can't speculate that much! That being said, dogs typically see results in 12-18 months, while as you know it can takes years in humans - so that might also account for an artificially lower success rate in humans (stopping too early).

We do react differently to allergens than dogs do, so I guess it shouldn't be surprising that we respond to treatments differently too. Antihistamines, for example, largely don't do much in seasonally allergic dogs beside sedate if they're first generation (benadryl) - while they can be a great help in humans! Same with drugs like leukotriene receptor antagonists (Singulair): great for humans, no effect in dogs, unfortunately.

Long and short - no real idea! But I've seen a number of dogs in the last week (I'm on dermatology right now) whose owners have described 100% improvement in their clinical signs about a year after starting the injections.

ETA: All that being said, I still chose to take Jake to a homeopathic veterinarian rather than do injections - and touch wood but we've had no allergy problems this year!

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

SmileThanks YellowJakesMom!

Have you expressed the lack of benefit from the vaccines to your dermatologist? They could talk with you about changing the frequency of injections or the strength. Don't change without talking to them first. The shots are being organized via the vet. He has been on them for couple of years now, with no great improvement.

Does your dog have skin infections? That would be a GOOD reason to bathe frequently. Unless you're showing your lab there's little reason to worry about having that "perfect" coat that people claim bathing ruins. Chances are a lab with very bad allergies doesn't have that coat anyway ;) You want to soothe the skin and remove pollen, other allergens and degrease over-greasy skin or moisturize dry skin (Depending on what your lab has). Yes, he does get skin infections.

What protein food are you feeding? The blood tests for food allergies aren't reliable, so I'd be trying something with hydrolyzed protein (Royal Canin HP or Purina HA) for 12 weeks or home cooking, then adding in individual ingredients to test for reactions. He is fed Lamb as his protein. What is Hydrolyzed Protein?

My main suggestion if you're not happy with the progress would be to talk to your dermatologist or go see a homeopathic vet for a treatment individualized for your pet. Never considered (or heard of such a thing) - will look into it!