Question for those who have dealt with a dog with cancer
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for those who have dealt with a dog with cancer

blackjack is offline Senior Member

DefaultQuestion for those who have dealt with a dog with cancer

What if any supplements did you find were beneficial? I've read so much now, I am getting confused.

Rusty, Blaze & Buster Brown
    BJ - 3/9/2007 - 2/6/12 - miss you everyday
    Boomer - ? - 3/15/12 - always in my heart

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member

I've been there. The confusion is horrible. When Caleb had cancer (hemangiosarcoma), I fed a grain-free diet, upped his fish oil gradually until he was getting 5 capsules (low by some standards). I added Co-enzyme Q (for heart I think) and something for liver support that I can't remember what it was and a supplement specific for hemangiosarcoma. I also had a vet versed in Chinese medicine that gave us something for that.

No way of knowing whether it did anything or not, but it felt better to try something.

ThreeTs is offline Senior Member

We are all confused. It may depend on the type of cancer. I agree with the previous poster on fish oil and grain-free food, I think they helped my dog maintain weight and muscle up to the end and suppressed gastric side effects of the mast cell reactions. Although some dogs never seem to tolerate grain-free. The idea is that fish oil is among other things a good anti-inflammatory, some dog food company studied fish oil for lymphoma dogs and now puts it in its prescription food (blanking on which company) because the results were good for reducing cachexia. The grain-free food is because cancer cells feed on sugar, so low carbohydrate diets are not as use-able to the cancer cells (scientifically investigated).

For a dog with mast cell cancer I gave 8 capsules of Fish Oil per day. Remember to give a little extra vitamin E, to keep all that oil from oxidizing, some fish oil has added E. Frequently I blended the fish oil with cottage cheese but can't remember why, there was a reason, something about human patients and a flax/cottage cheese blend. I think the fish oil and the high protein high fat dog food did help.

If the dog is not on chemo or radiation then I would add antioxidants (some chemo and radiation work by oxidation). Have used Vit. E and Coenzyme Q10. Have also used mushroom blends (New Chapter, after comparing to species in blends formulated for dogs). Can't really say whether the antioxidants or 'shrooms helped a whole lot though. Someone should really do a proper study with controls. Would also try to work in a little nice fresh lightly steamed vegetables like carrots and broccoli, etc.

If possible find a vet that is knowledgeable about supplements. I couldn't find one around here so I relied on a couple books and checking with the conventional vet. The Goldstein's Pet Wellness and Longevity Book and Preventing and Treating Cancer in Dogs and reliable internet sources are what I referred to most.

Good luck.
    Last edited by ThreeTs; 03-29-2010 at 11:38 PM. Reason: Adding

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thank you for you responses. I have switched him from NB Duck and Potato to Nature's Variety Instinct which is grain free and higher protein. I am also adding cooked chicken breast for more protein. A friend sent me an article on asparagus so I have been giving him that also. I upped the amount of salmon oil that he gets and added an immunity boosting supplement called C-Caps. I ordered some Artemisinin on the recommendation of a member of a dog cancer board I joined. It is supposed to help shrink cancer cells. He also recommended another immune support supplement that has different ingredients.

I started keeping a journal to help me remember when I started what, just in case.

As far as books I purchased two of Dr. Messonnier's books - Preventing and Treating Cancer in Dogs and Unexpected Miracles. I also found Help Your Dog Fight Cancer by Laurie Kaplan. I am still working my way through them.

So far so good, although I thought he was going to walk away from his dinner tonight. I have been feeding him away from the other dogs because one of them will help himself to Boomer's dish sometimes. Maybe he misses standing with everybody.

Thank you again for your input - I really appreciate it!

I think you are doing the best you can by trying to get educated about it. The Goldstein book I find is easier to read and determine dosages from than the other one. If you have a college or university library nearby you might look for books by Susan Wynn, they are practitioner type books on alternative vet medicine so pricey to buy, but worth looking in if available. As far as the not wanting to eat as well, even when my dog didn't eat much food out of the dish he would roll a treat dispensing ball around until every kibble was gone, nearly the last thing he ate was a dog biscuit he happened to find in an old cardboard box. Maybe your dog just needs the food to be more fun?

vitacost.com is a good place for mail order supplements, with a huge selection and the best prices. Sometimes a particular canine supplement (mushrooms for one) can be found in a human equivalent that is higher quality and lower priced.

If you find that the artemisinin is working and you want to keep it up I would be happy to pass along the unopened bottle that is residing in my refrigerator, for just postage. Let me know after you have tried out your bottle for a while. I ordered it for Tanner, but never used it as shortly after it came he went too far downhill. It expires August this year. I also have 1 unopened bottle of Angioblock that expires then, if anyone is interested. It is an extract of bindweed that is supposed to slow new blood vessel growth, highly vascular tumors would be the most likely use for this. I can't say either will do anything for anyone's dog but the offer is open to anyone with a cancer dog who will use them.
    Last edited by ThreeTs; 03-30-2010 at 01:51 AM. Reason: add.

Thanks for the info on vitacost.com I will check them out. Several of the things recommended in the books so far are things only vets can get, so I am starting a list of things to ask her next time we go. He is due for his annual exam in May. I really want to see what she says about vaccines.

I will let you know on the artemisinin. I got an email yesterday that the bottle I ordered is out of stock so it won't arrive for about a week.

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

Hmmm...what has helped. Thats a tough question, because its tough to tell what 'helps' vs. 'what would have not changed a thing'.

I give Rhys Graviola, actually, the day he was diagnosed was the first day he was given this supplement. Does it help, no idea.

I just wanted to say that grain free foods aren't always low carb. A low carb food is what you are looking for. Rhys gets ZERO carbs.
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

What do you feed Rhys?

Fallriver is offline Senior Member

What type of cancer? Neoplasene is very effective.
    Dana

To err is human:To forgive, canine."
    - Anonymous

Dana,

Have you used Neoplasene? Is it more effective in dogs than other animals? After using a similar bloodroot compound on three horses with ear sarcoids with little success I'd be interested in hearing what it will work on, it made the sarcoids very inflamed for a while, but they didn't come off even with extra applications of it, we ended up banding them with floss, which worked great and was easy (not recommending banding for canine cancer of course, and equine sarcoids are not malignant).

Laurel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast