Not liking liver?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not liking liver?

diabolicalangel is offline Senior Member

DefaultNot liking liver?

So yesterday I gave Casey some chicken liver to eat and she turned her nose up at it! I was really surprised by this since she seems to love anything I give her. She finally took the liver outside and I thought she ate it. Well today I found it in the yard uneaten. :whatever:

Today I just gave her beef liver and she checked it out for a few minutes but then started eating it. I cannot stand liver and I think it is gross so I was sure that a dog would love it! Anyone else have a lab that does not care for liver or another raw meat?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

maia.6250 is offline Junior Member

DefaultRe: Not liking liver?

really your dog doesn't like liver????!
    unbelieveable!
    my dog loves liver and all raw food! she always is very greedy when she gets some
    sometimes i'scared that she chokes on it!

4Onyx is offline Member

When I tried to give Onyx liver just by itself- she spit it out but if I add it to her other meat, she eats it without hesitation!! Maybe try to mix it with other meat- if you are, I don't know what to tell you!!

How is the raw feeding going??? Onyx loves it and I think she just looks wonderful- her fur is shiny, not greasy, her ears and teeth are totally clean!! She just seems really healthy!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

4 Onyx thanks for the suggestion on mixing the liver. I will try putting it together with other meat to see how she responds. The raw feeding is going very well overall and Casey loves her food! She did have some turkey legs recently that made her sick but I think they were bad to begin with. This was the first time there has been a bad experience with a raw meat. I will just need to be more careful in the future with paying attention to her reactions to something I try to give to her. I am glad that raw feeding is going so well for you!

maia.6250 is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by 4 Onyx
    How is the raw feeding going???
    That's a crazy question - i never heard that before ... your dog is really an exception I guess. But seriously if she does not like raw food i would maybe just cook it for her. Maybe her stomach is not use to it and maybe it is really not good for her helth ...

millstonekennel is offline Senior Member

The first time I gave Blu beef liver he played with it for a few min's than ate it b/c one of the other dogs came near him. Since than no problems.
    Alicia

sarah is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by maia.6250
    That's a crazy question - i never heard that before ... your dog is really an exception I guess. But seriously if she does not like raw food i would maybe just cook it for her. Maybe her stomach is not use to it and maybe it is really not good for her helth ...
    I definitely do not agree with this.

You're doing great with Casey's raw diet Diabolical Angel. I guess if she doesn't seem to take to the chicken liver then just omit that part from her meals or as 4Onyx said, mix it in with something she does like.

Cheers Sarah
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

Quote Originally Posted by sarah
    Quote Originally Posted by maia.6250
    I definitely do not agree with this.

You're doing great with Casey's raw diet Diabolical Angel. I guess if she doesn't seem to take to the chicken liver then just omit that part from her meals or as 4Onyx said, mix it in with something she does like.

Cheers Sarah

Thanks Sarah....I was sort of ignoring that quoted post it if you know what I mean.
    Casey is doing great with the raw diet and she decided that beef liver is awesome but not chicken liver and that is OK. 8)
    By the way, have you started feeding raw to Milly yet?

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Baloo loves chicken, beef and lamb liver but won't touch pork or turkey liver. :ugly: It all looks/smells the same to me, so I don't really "get" his discrimination.

Each to his own, I guess.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

What does the liver do? It purifies the body. Caleb never ate liver until I got him some liver from organically gronw animals. I guess he could smell/sense the garbage that was in the other liver. Now he eats it without a problem but I only give him the organically raised/fed stuff.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast