Brands of Raw Food

Thread: Brands of Raw Food

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

DefaultBrands of Raw Food

Buck is currently on Nature's Variety Raw Food. The place I get his food from told me the prices went up. So instead of paying 55 bucks every 3 weeks or so for his food it will be costing me 73 bucks. It was expensive enough at 55 dollars...73 is just ridiculous to me. I donít think I can afford this much longer. Raw has done wonders for him and I donít want to go back on the hunt for a kibble he does well on.

TIA!
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

diabolicalangel is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Brands of Raw Food

:ugly:
    Yikes! That seems really expensive for raw feeding. Have you considered feeding raw pieces from the grocery store or a butcher perhaps? I just started feeding raw to Casey about 4 weeks ago and I am keeping it around ten dollars a week and that is going to the grocery store. Hopefully I will find some better bulk deals in the future. On the Nature's Variety website I noticed that the raw formulations all seem to include ground up bone. Is Bucky also getting raw meaty bones to eat on a regular basis? I ask because I thought part of the benefit of raw feeding was the crunching of bones and the tooth cleaning benefits. Just some thoughts.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Oye!! That's a lot. :surprise:

Have you ever tried do-it-yourself raw? MUCH cheaper, and better in the long run because they get the dental benefit that they really don't with pre-made.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Fallriver is offline Senior Member

Try joining one of the raw lists, there may be a co-op in your area.
    Dana

To err is human:To forgive, canine."
    - Anonymous

millstonekennel is offline Senior Member

I use Nature's Variety when I don't feel like making up Blu's food. But as you said the $$'s when up so now I'm back to doing it my self. I get turkey neck from a local turkey plant for $0.60 per # and I go to Sam's club for the rest.
    Alicia

Indiana is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Buckyball
    Buck is currently on Nature's Variety Raw Food. The place I get his food from told me the prices went up. So instead of paying 55 bucks every 3 weeks or so for his food it will be costing me 73 bucks. It was expensive enough at 55 dollars...73 is just ridiculous to me. I donít think I can afford this much longer. Raw has done wonders for him and I donít want to go back on the hunt for a kibble he does well on.

TIA!
    For anyone who lives in the upper mid-west, Taylor Pond Farms has good food, whole ground animals from trustworthy sources, a variety of ground organ blends and ground tripe for reasonable prices. Bravo is available nationally and has good prices. I've heard good things about Primal too, but I have no idea what their pricing is like.

I started out on Nature's Variety too, but quickly learned that feeding a dog really isn't rocket science No matter what, feeding a large dog pre-made raw is going to be expensive and it doesn't give you the dental and mental benefits of chewing on a big ole' chunk of meat. I buy chicken quarters, beef hearts, pork necks and anything else that goes on a good sale. I also put ads on Freecycle and Craig's List for freezer burned meat and left overs from hunters. I get lots of venison, pork and beef this way. Then I splurge on things like organ blends, green tripe and mutton chunks from Taylor Pond Farms. You can also talk to the manager at the meat counter and see if they can give you good prices if you special order cases of chicken backs, necks, quarters, beef hearts etc. Local farmers may have left overs to share with you (frequently people don't want organs and bones or even tough cuts of meat). If you're feeling really frugal and a bit adventurous, meat packers might allow you to go through their trim bucket. If you get creative, you can feed one lab a pretty decent prey model diet for less than $1 per day.
    <br />http://picasaweb.google.com/IndyandFriends/Indy<br /><br /><br />

Winnie is offline Junior Member

Hi there,

We feed our "little" Springer Spaniel a brand called "Healthy Paws," which runs about $1/patty (he eats 4 a day). We're in Canada, so I'm not sure if Healthy Paws is available in the US.

$4/day gets really pricey really quickly, so I alternate 1 week of the pre-made commercial beef/buffalo/venison patties, and one week of chicken necks and backs from the butcher. A bag of these costs about $20 and lasts me a week.

I find Seymore's raw diet more pricey than average because we try to keep his meat organic and hormone/steriod/antibiotic free. Also, I'm admittedly too lazy to mush the raw ingredients myself which would save me some money no doubt.

Healthy Paws also offers a "Buy 10 Packages Get 1 Free" deal. Check your local petfood store to see if this brand is available in the US.

Dagmara, Seymore's mommie.
    Winston<br />April 3, 1995 - January 18, 2007<br /><br /><br /><br />Seymore Elliot<br />Born April 21, 2007<br /><br />

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Even though I carry BRAVO and Primal I use more chicken backs than anything else. There are some of the big chicken producers in our area and I drive down there to buy cases of chicken backs. Sure makes feeding raw affordable.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I didn't mean to post and take off. Had to go away on business and didnt have time to come back and check on the forum.

I almost done finishing the last batch of food I bought so again thanks for the suggestions! looks liek I will have to end up making the food myself. Need to go "hunting" for food for Buck that will work for both of us

<3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3