Orijen for Lab puppy..

Thread: Orijen for Lab puppy..

cri
    cri is offline Junior Member

DefaultOrijen for Lab puppy..

Hello everyone i'm new to this form today. I was recommended Orijen for my puppy and i agree that seems to be great food for dogs. So we went out and bought it last night and started her on it today.
    The only problem is how do you know how much to give her? She was getting 3 cups a day of science diet 1 1/2 cup in the morning and one at night. We switched her off that cause i found out how bad it is for them, and she wasn't eating it anymore. Also someone just scared me and told me i shouldn't be giving Orijen to a lab as its not a good food for their growth. So i'm really confused i'm really hoping its ok to give her as i just spent enough on it. Any help would be soooo appreciated.
    THanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Fallriver is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Orijen for Lab puppy..

She'll do just fine on the Orijen. Some people panic about the high protein level and the higher calcium levels but they are fine and balanced with the phosphorus so no worries. I would give her about 3/4 of what the bag recommends and adjust from there, depending on her condition.
    Dana

To err is human:To forgive, canine."
    - Anonymous

cri
    cri is offline Junior Member

Thanks for the reassurance!! the bag only says how much to feed for the expectent weight? So i don't know what she is expected to weigh? i just emailed the company maybe they can have some insight..

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I would think the average weight for a larador bitch is 70#
    Dana

- Anonymous

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

You don't need to be concerned with the amount of protein but you do with the amount of calcium

The Orijen large breed puppy is a better choice for proper amount of calcium than the regular puppy.

Calculate the calories per cup in the SD you were feeding and compare to the Orijen so you will be feeding the same amount of calories daily. You will feed less of the Orijen to equal the SD.

If the calcium is at an acceptable ratio to the phosphorus, a higher absolute content is fine.
    Dana

- Anonymous

imported_Nick is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snowco Labradors
    You don't need to be concerned with the amount of protein but you do with the amount of calcium

The Orijen large breed puppy is a better choice for proper amount of calcium than the regular puppy.

Calculate the calories per cup in the SD you were feeding and compare to the Orijen so you will be feeding the same amount of calories daily. You will feed less of the Orijen to equal the SD.
    I'd agree

With respect to the original poster, the Ca:Ph ratio is important for other reasons, but regarding the more common growth problems the total amount of calcium in the pup's diet - especially during the first 6-9 months when they lack a mechanism to excrete most excess calcium (instead, they store it in the bones and that's the source of the problem).

I was fortunate enough to work on some animal nutrition studies as an undergraduate research assistant, and unfortunate enough to have a dog with hip dysplasia. I went back and checked to see if there are any new developments since I graduated in 2004, but I didn't find any earth-shattering new news.

Specifically regarding hip dysplasia, you're concerned with four major factors: genes (which if you have a pup, you can't control), caloric intake, exercise, and calcium. Feeding the proper amount (not too much and not too little) is very important, and not exercising on hard surfaces (pavement) and not feeding too much calcium are good ways to minimize the risk.

The highest absolute amount of calcium in Orijen foods is 1.6%, well within AAFCO standards.
    The research in question regarding absolute calcium content, to the best of my knowledge it was done by Iams in order to support the calcium values of some of their foods which are actually below AAFCO standards. Personally, I'm skeptical and I think there is more to the equation. I wouldn't worry about 1.6% when the AAFCO range is 1.0% to 3.5% I believe.
    Dana

- Anonymous

imported_Nick is offline Senior Member

I thought I put it in my post, but obviously I did not. I would agree, the amount of calcium in Orijen is not so high as to be of great concern. I may prefer a lower amount, but that's just me, I don't think what's in there is dangerous.

As for the research, it's stood for decades and has been repeated, and no, Iams is not the driving force. I'm sure they have sponsored some studies, but the ones I'm specifically referring to tested the higher end, they were not concerned with the low end. Also, the AAFCO range may be that, I am not sure, but I do know that is not what most ortho vets believe (assuming Jes's ortho vet is accurate). It's much lower than 3.5%, more like 1.8% - 2.0% and I'm sure it varies. Obviously it's not an exact science, especially with respect to hip dysplasia (which is what I'm most familiar with) since nutrition is but a factor and not THE factor.

Most puppy foods are much lower, in the 1% to 1.2% neighbourhood. I don't think any approach the upper limits of the AAFCO standard, at least not nowadays. Iams has foods on the market that are 0.8%
    Dana

- Anonymous