Lab in Need

Thread: Lab in Need

Eyes of an Angel is offline Junior Member

DefaultLab in Need

Good Afternoon,
    My name is Jennifer and I am "Mommy" to a purebred Black Lab, "Caesar". I apologize as this is a logn psot and I am willing to take the chance of getting bashed by some heartless people because I am not asking for a handout.
    Here is the situation:
    Back on January 5th Caesar was rushed to an Emergency Clinic because he could not breath and was suffocating.
    The attending vet felt because of his breed and age and symptoms it looked to be classic Laryngeal paralysis (Which I'd never hear dof prior to that) Without doign bloodwork (which I may add is Vet Practice 101 procedure) they dsedated and scoped him and diagnosed Laryngeal Paralysis. He stayed the weekend and was treated with steroids and an oxygen tent. During this time the original vet stated he needed surgery that compeltely correct it and recommended he be trransferred to a surgeon Monday Morning. (estimated cost of $1500-$2000).
    I am a hard working woman but this cost wasnt somethign I coudl afford all at once so I brought him home with numerous meds to help his breathing. In the days that followed I researched every resource abvailable and found a wonderful organization called Lablifeline for this exact scenario. I applied and with help got approved and they would pay $1000 of his surgery. So he was sceheduled within a week for surgery ont he other coast from where we live with a very good , board certified surgeon( $ 1/2 hr drive each way)
    I made arrangements for time off work, transportation and a donated motel room for the weekend. Caesar had several breathign crisises during this time and was given a heavy sedated so he didnt have heart failure from not being able to breath before the unilateral tieback surgery that woudl completely fix this problem.
    We got up at 3am - drove across the state to the surgeon and pt him in the good , helpign hands and went to find the motel. I received a call within 30 minutes that she had some news. Caesar tested positive for heartworm and is at a level 3. Level 4 is heart failure. It is treatable though dangerous. Untreated he will die. He will still need another scope to determine if the LP diagnosis was correct after he is cured Since he did not have the surgery I lost the funding for it.
    I will be pursing negligence and malpraxtice for the er vet not doign bloodwork. It is a standard protocol especially before sedation and they coudl have killed him. Had he had the surgery monday mornign as planned , he would have died. The outcome , if successful for pursuing negligence wont result in much of anything (maybe the bill they charged ($1100) being reimbursed) but if it helps anotehr animal, it is worth it.
    Caesar is 12 and expected to live to 16. Before this incident he was compeltely healthy. No other issues at all and happy and alive with life and spunk. He WAS tested 6 months ago and the test was fine(negative) He took heartworm medication as well. He has always received any vet care he has needed and all his shots. His worst health problem had been an ear infection.
    His day vet is leery to treat him because of the level he is at and the risk of treatment. I also think he hasnt had the experience in treating this level. He also mentioned age though dozens of other vets have no issue with his age and strongly recommend treatign him and the success rate of treatment. That left us with a chocie of not treating him and watchign him slowly die and lose quality of life (which we cant handle) , puttign him down prematurely when he can be cured and health restored (doesnt seem right at all) or treating him.(the obviosu choice if you understand the value of a pet to a family and their place and rolein a family.)
    I have spoekn with numerous organizations askign for assistance and now I've come to you, hte understanding animal lover.... I am NOT askign for a handout. - His suergery will cost probably aroudn $2000. We have already invested $1500+ and woudl have had his surgery funded. His Daddy(my husband is a disabled Vet but worked 30 yrs in his own business as a top recognized remodeler in Conencticut. He is willign to do any remodeling ro repair with the understanding he can only work 3-4 a day to repay any help. I work 10 horu days but am willign to do any work on weekends(cleaning, errands, etc) and our son, Tony (16) is willign to help too and mow lawns or whatever he can as well.
    We need the help to give Caesar back his life. Thsi isnt a feeble attemopt to save a dog that is too old and not worth sabving. It also isnt because we dont want to lose him. While it is true we woudl never want him to passs away. We refuse to have him suffer or lsoe quality of life for our emotions. After extensive research....he can be cured (with risk of course) and has several years to look forward to.
    Please...if you can help in any way or know anyone that can(a vet who woudl donate treatment- any organization that migth fund it- ANYthing. we woudl be eternally grateful.)
    IYou can reply via craigslist or I am also posting my personal email: [email protected]
    please help
    Jennifer, "Caesar" and family

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Lab in Need

Which surgery? Heartworm is usually treated with medication....

brody is offline Senior Member

I feel for you - really I do - and I hope you can help your wonderful boy

I'm sure if he can beat the heart worm he'll be eligible for the lab funding again - are you looking for money to get him clear of heartworm?

there are a number of things you write that concern me a bit (I wish I knew how to do multiple quotes easily)

first up
    I will be pursing negligence and malpraxtice for the er vet not doign bloodwork

I don't understand this- heartworm is not part of the routine cbc testing - unless it had never been done before or you live in an area where it is an epidemic I wouldn't think most er vets would restest for it - more then annually
    If you seriously have a negative heartworm test from 6 months ago and having been using preventative as recommended by your vet you may want to sue the lab that came up with the negative test or the medication provider tho

Caesar is 12 and expected to live to 16.

I'd like to borrow your crystal ball.. I have NEVER known how long to expect any of my friends canine or human to live.. a 12 year old lab is a pretty healthy age (which does not mean you should give up it's just a fact)

His day vet is leery to treat him because of the level he is at and the risk of treatment. I also think he hasnt had the experience in treating this level. He also mentioned age though dozens of other vets have no issue with his age and strongly recommend treatign him and the success rate of treatment.

I'm sorry - I'm confused again - how do dozens of vets know his complete history? Your day vet is the one who has the most information to be able to help you make an informed choice about what to do.. if you don't like his or her advice you need to seek a full second opinion and PAY for it - word of mouth, internet etc just isn't enough in this case

After extensive research....he can be cured (with risk of course) and has several years to look forward to.

again I envy you your crystal ball - heartworm treatment is tough for young healthy dogs - let alone ones that may be facing other SERIOUS breathing issues- the heartworm positive dogs I have seen ( thank heavens not too many) all have serious trouble breathing and feel DREADFUL
    I wouldn't even think about surgery until the heartworm was gone

hang in there through this tough time
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by conrad
    I feel for you - really I do - and I hope you can help your wonderful boy

I'm sure if he can beat the heart worm he'll be eligible for the lab funding again - are you looking for money to get him clear of heartworm?

there are a number of things you write that concern me a bit (I wish I knew how to do multiple quotes easily)

first up
    I will be pursing negligence and malpraxtice for the er vet not doign bloodwork

I don't understand this- heartworm is not part of the routine cbc testing - unless it had never been done before or you live in an area where it is an epidemic I wouldn't think most er vets would restest for it - more then annually
    If you seriously have a negative heartworm test from 6 months ago and having been using preventative as recommended by your vet you may want to sue the lab that came up with the negative test or the medication provider tho

Caesar is 12 and expected to live to 16.

I'd like to borrow your crystal ball.. I have NEVER known how long to expect any of my friends canine or human to live.. a 12 year old lab is a pretty healthy age (which does not mean you should give up it's just a fact)

His day vet is leery to treat him because of the level he is at and the risk of treatment. I also think he hasnt had the experience in treating this level. He also mentioned age though dozens of other vets have no issue with his age and strongly recommend treating him and the success rate of treatment.

I'm sorry - I'm confused again - how do dozens of vets know his complete history? Your day vet is the one who has the most information to be able to help you make an informed choice about what to do.. if you don't like his or her advice you need to seek a full second opinion and PAY for it - word of mouth, internet etc just isn't enough in this case

After extensive research....he can be cured (with risk of course) and has several years to look forward to.

again I envy you your crystal ball - heartworm treatment is tough for young healthy dogs - let alone ones that may be facing other SERIOUS breathing issues- the heartworm positive dogs I have seen ( thank heavens not too many) all have serious trouble breathing and feel DREADFUL
    I wouldn't even think about surgery until the heartworm was gone

hang in there through this tough time
    Great response.
    And even if there was malpractice by the vet if you can't afford the medical treatment how could you afford to pay an attorney?
    Just say the vet was suppose to do the blood work as standard protocol what was the harm or injury to your dog? From what you're saying there wasn't any. It doesn't matter if the vet is negligent if there isn't any harm or injury done to the animal as a result then there is no malpractice.

There is nothing to say how long any of our dogs will live. I had a dog die less than two months after her 5th birthday, and she was a 33 pound mixed breed. Only mention the size because everything else being equal smaller dogs tend to live longer due to the fact that they age slower.
    Many labs are not living to the age of 16 today. Most live to be around 12 or so. Some of it is gentics, some of it is environment, diet etc, and a lot of it is luck. I think Conrad was right on about the age of your labby, but I'm not saying that you should just give up on him either as was stated.

If you go to the human society website(believe it's The Humane Society of the United States) they provide you with tips on how to get the money you need. Including things such as selling some of your material items which you can always replace later or getting a loan. Not sure what all was on it, I was just looking over their website one day and saw it.

Tia
    Tia is offline Senior Member

I guess I've always been under the impression that blood work before surgery was optional and not required...

And also, the spell check button here is pretty user friendly...