Rescues in Ontario
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rescues in Ontario

Neska74 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRescues in Ontario

Just wondering, not sure if this was posted before, but there seem to be quite a bit of organized rescues in USA (transports etc.) I don't see much here for Ontario. Am I just missing it or is it just because there are not a lot of members of Ontario Lab Rescues and volunteers on this site?
    Just wondering.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Rescues in Ontario

There's only one lab-specific breed rescue ( http://www.lrro.on.ca/ ) that I know of, but there are many, many, MANY all breed rescues out there.

Are you looking to adopt ?

Neska74 is offline Senior Member

No, wish I could, but I have a small apartment, so maybe a few years down the road.
    I was just curious, becuase I see the ones in the States so organized with transports etc. and I thought maybe Ontario has that or not? I'd be willing to help out with transports etc. in my area whenever I would be able to, in case our lab rescues would need that. But maybe ours operate differently.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

I don't know how active LRRO is, but there are many other rescue groups and shelters that would love assistance... check out petfinder for groups that are close to you

RUGERSMOM is offline Senior Member

I'm wondering if anyone can answer this question regarding traveling into Canada and bringing a dog home. My nephews Lab was somehow picked up on I90 in Pennsylvania a few weeks before Xmas. Somehow ( thru the internet postings) a woman in Canada picked Remi up and continued onto Canada with her. I know Remi didn't have any papers with her going into Canada, can you just take a dog into Canada without any? I also am wondering if we now need passports to get into Canada to bring her home and will the US border patrol stop us also?

Any response would be appreciated...Thanks

Jan

momtoBlue is offline Senior Member

I know that from the Canadian side, I need a passport to get over the border now...I'd better get one.

Here is some information:

http://www.bcpassport.com/vancouver-...he-border.aspx

http://www.gonorthwest.com/Visitor/p...der/border.htm

http://gocanada.about.com/od/faqscro...sit_Canada.htm
    <br /><br />Mom to 3 busy boys and&nbsp; my sweet little lab girl!!

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Rocky comes from the US (Dani's rescue). My dad went over the border, picked him up, and drove back him with him in the passenger seat The border people just smiled and let them thru.

You do need proof of rabies vaccination. I know there are potential issues with dog food (someone said they had their food confiscated) but that's about it.

LRRO is the only lab specific rescue ive heard of as well. But teh rescue community (all breed) is quite busy and active. Most labs end up in all breed rescues (there are always a few PB labs listed) or shelters. They don't seem to have an online community as the US does. You need to talk to them and see what's up.
    I'm dealing with two local all breed rescues in Ottawa.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

imported_oakley is offline Senior Member

We have Lab Resuce here in NS.
    They are a member of this forum.
    That is where I got Oakley.

Lana

Quote Originally Posted by momtoBlue
    I know that from the Canadian side, I need a passport to get over the border now...I'd better get one.
    Ummm, depends on your mode of travel:

Air:

Canadian citizens travelling by air to, through or from the United States must present one of the following documents:

A valid Canadian passport; or
    A valid NEXUS card when used at participating airports.
    This requirement applies to all travellers, regardless of age, including children.

Canadian citizens intending to fly to, through or from the United States should apply for a passport, keep it up to date and carry it with them when travelling. For more information about passports: Passport Canada

The NEXUS program offers a simplified and expedited border clearance process to low-risk, pre-approved travellers.

For information on the new Passenger Protect Program for air travel within Canada, please visit Transport Canada’s Web site: www.passengerprotect.gc.ca

Land or Sea:

As of January 31, 2008, Canadian citizens travelling by land to the United States must present one of the following:

a government-issued photo ID, such as a driver’s licence, PLUS a birth certificate or citizenship card; or
    a valid passport; or
    a NEXUS or a Free and Secure Trade (FAST) card; or
    an enhanced driver’s licence; or
    a Certificate of Indian Status (CIS) card; or
    for those aged 18 and under only proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate, is required.

This is from the Canada Border Security Agency website, dated Jan 2008.

They still haven't got this passport thing ironed out so if travelling by vehicle, you will not need a passport. I highly recommend getting one though. I take it with me everytime I travel, whether I need one or not. Best form of ID and with all the security markings in it, it's getting more and more difficult to make bogus ones. The CBSA folks are very well trained at spotting the fake ones.

Bev.
    <br /><br />&quot;Maintiens Le Droit&quot;

chris_piper is offline Member

Last year when we were looking for a rescue dog, we tried the organization that kaytris mentioned. I got the application online, filled it out, mailed it in, called about 3-4 times and left messages and never heard from them. Not sure how active they are. It was a bit disappointing for me to get no response at all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast