Looking for a good Lab needing a home.

Thread: Looking for a good Lab needing a home.

riarcher is offline Member

DefaultLooking for a good Lab needing a home.

Trying to be brief I'm looking for a Lab. Before I venture the puppy route from a breeder I thought I'd consider rescue (thus this posting)
    What I'm looking for;
    [i]VERY IMPORTANT:[i]
    Must not be aggressive towards kids, adults, other dogs. Not saying it needs to be over friendly, just not aggressive.
    Must like to ride.
    Must like water.
    Must not be gun shy
    Must be in good health

Not as important but thinking;
    Female, If not yet spayed but still young, I would consider doing so at my expense. Already "fixed" is acceptable of course.
    Preferring about 2 yr. old or so and younger.
    The practicle side of me says "yellow lab" because of summer's heat on the beach and in the boat,,, but, there's something about the Black Labs. Suppose that makes it not a real issue,, much -

Dog's mission will be to act as a companion to a married couple (us) in their 50's (I am semi retired). Dog will be expected (after the honeymoon) to participate in ventures on the beach for fishing, quahoging, etc. also maybe able to ride in boats. Will also be expected to participate in woods walks and possibly hunting adventures. Probably will not be counted on as a "Hunting Dog" but more as part of just coming along for the fun (I'm not that serious of a hunter-S). Dog will be expected to behave in mixed crowds when visiting friends and relatives.
    I lost a very, very good girl to Lyme disease a few months back and really miss her and need another.
    I took in a dog from a local rescue and had to return it a few days ago. I feel the rescue was less than honest and after it bit my wife on the arm,, and went for the kids at the bus stop (luckily there was a fence?) I felt uncomfortable with being able to trust this dog,, so back it went (and I'm feeling really bad about that and do not want a repeat performance!).
    I am willing to consider another rescue,, but please don't try and pass off to me an unknown stray or problem child that you feel sorry for.
    I know sometimes things happen in peoples lives where they have to do things they don't want to do. If you're in a situation where you simply must surrender a "good" dog because of circumstances I'm offering a spot. The dog will be like part of the family,, live largely in the house,, will be well spoiled but not in what I'd consider a bad way.
    If you have one or know of one please don't take any thing I may ask personal. I'm going to do my best in screening out any potential problem dog.
    Thank you for listening.
    Gary
    [email protected]

Location is South East Rhode Island, 1 mile from ocean (ref; Charlestown Breachway, Charlestown R.I.) mostly rural with moderately heavy(?) tourism in summers.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

stlabs is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Looking for a good Lab needing a home.

I read your posts about the problems with your last dog and feel really bad for you. I volunteer with a rescue and we don't take or place biters. It's really unfortunate you had a bad experience. We are in Texas so I doubt that we can help you. I wanted to suggest though that you have a professional trainer/behaviorist evaluate any dog you consider. They can do tests to pick up behaviors you would never think to look for. It's sometimes hard to tell that you're dealing with an aggressive dog if you don't know what to look for - they don't always growl or bark or lunge at first. A good behaviorist should be able to tell you what the dog will be like around men, women, kids, dogs, and cats. If you adopt from a reputable rescue, they should be more than willing to let you do this. There are a lot of good dogs in the various rescues so I hope that this bad experience won't taint you. I really encourage you to strongly consider adopting an adult lab because this will enable you to tell what you're getting - with puppies you can never tell and they can grow up to be aggressive or the best dog in the world.

Thank you.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

This position has been filled with a "pound puppy". Est. 5-6 mo. Black Lab female. Spaying is being scheduled as well as everything else.
    Yipee! ;D

samrandy is offline Member

That is great news-congratulations!