Rescue Advice please

Thread: Rescue Advice please

WigWag Guest

DefaultRescue Advice please

A good friend of mine is in a tough situation and I'm looking for advice and maybe help. She purchased two puppies from two different show breeders almost 7 years ago. She was starting on an endeavor to breed only the best to show, etc. Within 2 months she realized that one bitch pup was nicer than the other so she sold the other into a pet home. The pup (chocolate female) was about 5 months old. Well about a month ago her owner called and said she had family problems and was moving and couldn't keep her or her 11 year old mix and wanted my friend to take both. She explained that she couldn't take the mix because she didn't have the resources for him but would take the Lab back as promised 7 years ago. The woman came and signed a release form which had a section stating that the vet records would be faxed and that the dog was free of any serious medical problems and up to date on everything. Within 10 minutes of the woman leaving (in a hurry) my friend noticed the girl was lame on a rear leg. She immediately put her in the van and drove to her vet calling the previous owner on the way who said the dog was totally fine. The diagnosis is a torn cruciate that has been going on for a long time as evident by muscle atrophy and arthritis and she had surgery to repair the ligament in the other leg some time ago. My friend called the owner back and left several messages including ones threatening to take her to small claims court if she doesn't reimburse her for the x-rays and exam and for the surgery as well. The woman has not returned any calls or picked up a certified letter. My friend also called Lab rescue in our area (LRR) and was advised to put the dog down as they would not have taken in a 7 year old dog who needed cruciate surgery. The dog has been in my friend's home now for a week and she is a very very nice dog - calm, sweet, and gets along with all her other housedogs and her cat, etc. She just can't put her down but she also doesn't have $1800 to spend on her surgery. She did contact Labrador Lifeline but they have not emailed her back. Any advice? You can email me privately. TIA

[email protected]

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

stlabs is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Rescue Advice please

The only advice I have is maybe look into traditional cruciate surgery rather than TPLO. In my area it is substantially less - around $800 or so (versus about $2000 per knee for TPLO). We have had some luck in our rescue getting ortho vets to reduce prices somewhat. Where are you located?

TimC. is offline Senior Member

Sharon tell your friend to try Labrador Life Line. www.labradorlifeline.org/
    maybe they can help.
    Olie

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

risingphoenix is offline Member

Just saw this posting today. I don't know if this is still an ongoing problem, or if it has been resolved. If not- I would tell her to go down to the courthouse and file the lawsuit. The court will then send a representative to "serve" her with the official notice. Trust me, they will find her. And while she's at it, I would tell her to file $$ damages for the dog's injury being aggravated due to gross neglect, and the probable need for rehabilitation/therapy for the leg after surgery.

Alisa

CHOCOLATA is offline Senior Member

It is always frustrating. I volunteer for a rescue and people do this all the time.A guy surendered his beautiful yellow female becuase with new twins they could not afford to pay for her ACL surgery. We have a vet that would do it for $500 in such cases. The guy still could not afford it. When he brought the dog over to one of our foster homes he came in his BMW and did not need directions as he has GPM :

Anyway, how about LabMed? I know they help labs in need. Also, some vet might be able to give her a deal!
    <br /><br />Zlata &amp; Chocolata

TimC. is offline Senior Member

Sharon the other thing I thought about is is your friend anywhere near a university that has a veterinary school? They will usually work with someone on the cost because they want the students to have the experience.
    Olie

brody is offline Senior Member

also try orthodogs - they are wonderful and work really hard to help out dogs in tough situations

I had a similar case - or so I thought but it turned out the dog's bone was being eaten my a cancerous mass and we had to euthanize her as she was suffering beyond belief

http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller