Question about adopting from Rescue

Thread: Question about adopting from Rescue

rosefox911 is offline Junior Member

DefaultQuestion about adopting from Rescue

Hey guys,

I am going to be adopting a lab from Lucky Lab Rescue (Available for Adoption | Lucky Lab Rescue) in MA. I've already send in my application and am waiting for a call back from a volunteer to complete the phone interview. However, I wanted to ask you guys for some advice. Although I have done a lot of research on the matter, I have some doubts about adopting a rescue as opposed to buying from a breeder. First, I would love to adopt a dog, there are far too many that are neglected and I would love to provide a loving environment. My fear, after speaking to people, is that the dog will have medical problems that I would be unaware of. I wanted to ask what your thoughts on this were, is this likely? Do you have any tips or suggestions? Also, is there a "must buy" list you guys would recommend for an adopted dog. I'd really appreciate it. Thank you!

PS: My girlfriend also has a pet rabbit, we plan to adopt a dog that is OK with cats and introduce them to each other slowly always keeping an eye on them.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ahtoxa is offline Senior Member

Not sure how this forum flows and ebbs but generally cross posting is not a good idea. please see your other thread on this subject where I posted a few suggestions.

rosefox911 is offline Junior Member

Hi,

Sorry about that. I accidentally posted it here, I didn't realize it submitted it. A mob can delete this if possible.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Garth is offline Registered Users

It's no big deal. We often tell people who post elsewhere on the site to cross post in LC because that gets the most replies. I would leave this here because you might get some replies from the rescue people who frequent this part of the forum.

Olive's mom is offline Senior Member

I rescued my chihuahua four years ago she has not had any health issues and I just rescued my lab mix olive. Around here rescuing is huge and a huge majority of the people have rescue dogs. I have not really heard about them having a lot of medical issues but I am sure some do. I would try and find out as much about the history of the dog you are adopting for instance my chihuahua came for a very abusive past so I know she was going to have issues with fear and it would be a lot of work to get her comfortable around people again.

stripeybelly is offline Junior Member

I know this thread is older but I just wanted to add for people who are also wondering - most rescue groups will give you a 'trial' period of a week or two. You could visit your vet during that time, have a complete health screening... could be pricey, but it'd be worth knowing. If it turned out the lab had problems you could not deal with, you could return it to the rescue and explain that to them.

flynbyu2 is offline Member

We rescued a German Shepherd from a GSD rescue group. They allowed us to "foster" the dog for four weeks to make sure she was a good fit with our other dog and our family. During that time I took her to my vet for a head-tail check up. She had kennel cough which we treated and she recovered quickly.

The nice part is you know what the dog will look like as an adult and you get a good idea about the dog's temperament.
    Needless to say, rescuing this dog was the best decision we ever made. She is a joy. People say that rescue dogs KNOW what you did for them and are eternally grateful.
    Anybody who doesn't know what soap tastes like never washed a dog. ~Franklin P. Jones