We're adopting a rescued Lab and need help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We're adopting a rescued Lab and need help

Mike G is offline Junior Member

DefaultWe're adopting a rescued Lab and need help

This coming Tuesday, Feb. 22nd, my wife and I are going to pick-up Gunner for a trial run (we already know we want him). Gunner is a 4-year-old (age approximated) chocolate lab. He was found roaming without any identification and was put on a euthanasia list but was rescued. We are told he is very loving, does not pull on his lead when walking and responds to basic commands. We want to make him feel loved and wanted yet I’m concerned. Is he too old and set in his ways? Can a lab of this age be trained? What should we have for him when we bring him to his new home (chew toys, bed, etc.)? Any and all suggestions and comments would be appreciated. Thank you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

deidra is offline Senior Member

my labradors have all been rescues.Tank was severley abused my my uncle i dont say he is my uncle now but i had toys,a bed basic dog stuff and bones but when i got him he had temperment issues and would not let guys arouind him only females so i had to put alot of training into him and plus he was not house broke!Now bentley he was very leash scared and didnt like to see it now he is over that phase and loves walking!Yes a lab that is 4 years old can be trained a dog of any age can be re-trained labs love pleasing there owners so they are an easy breed to train.Rescued dogs exspccially ones that were strays are not all house broke so you may have to work on that i would get him nutered if he is not already!When you get hime make sure that first day he is getting loved but yhet he nows you are in command if you dont out him in the kitchen makes sure he knows you dont want im in there!I would by a crate so at night he can be in a crate if you do not want him free roaming,or when you leave.I would tech him his name or aon recall if your yard is not fenced dont let him free roam the first day my dog were not alowed off leash for 3 weeks! cant wait to see picks of gunner and hope it works out!
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

lisa is offline Senior Member

First of all...thanks for rescuing. My trainer tells me it's it's never to old to learn something new. Most labs love to please. It may not always be easy, but I am sure with a little hard work, you will be successful. What rescue did you get this boy from? I would have some nylabones, kongs...these are good keep busy toys, a dog bed would be nice too. Please remember to come back and post some pic's

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

I've fostered dogs of various age - and no, it is never too late to train!

My personal recommendation (which I give all those who adopt one of my fosters) is to sign up for an obedience class right away (I did this when I adopted my lab who was just under 2 years of age). EVEN if the dog knows the basics, it helps establish a working relationship between YOU and the dog, and more importantly it helps build a bond (working together is a great way to build a bond with your dog).

Set the house rules from day 1 (don't allow then what you won't allow later), new house = new rules.

IF he is from a rescue that has foster home, ask the foster parents for as much info on the dog (habits, quirks, toys they like).

What you need: possibly a crate, food/water bowl (stainless steal), food, leash and collar (I prefer 4ft for training), possibly a dog bed. I recommend nature's miracle or other odor neutralizer because even a house trained dog can have accidents the first few days at a new home. Ask whoever has him now what he eats and keep him on taht for at least a month. Don't spend too much money on toys until you know if they are a super chewer or if they even play with toys (my lab does not play with toys, nor does he like nylabones). Pick up one or two things to test the waters. Most dogs like a stuffed kong (especially when you leave the house) - I get the black kong (large).

Get the name of a vet (if you do ot already) and make an apointment for a simple check-up (yes even if the dog is fully vetted by the rescue I recommend you see a vet so they meet the dog and get a baseline, plus sets up a good relationship so teh dog isn't just there when they are sick).

Often dogs are anxious the first day or so (this depends on the dog). They may pace, pant and have a hadr time just resting. Don't force attention, but offer it happily when they come to you.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

We are dealing with a rescue in Jackson, NJ called Ark Angels. We are told gunner has had all of his shots and has been neutered.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
    We are dealing with a rescue in Jackson, NJ called Ark Angels. We are told gunner has had all of his shots and has been neutered.
    Thank you for rescuing!

Even though he is current on shots (get documentation of that) you need to see a vet within the first week of owning him. It's a good practice for anyone acquiring a dog of any age. If he were mine, I'd get a heartworm test done then so you can start him on heartworm preventative right away.

You should have a crate for him even if he is reliably housetrained. It's very useful if you have a situation where you need to contain him - so do use it and make it his "den". A dog bed is a nice plus but not entirely necessary - Labs can sleep happily on the floor. Nylabones and Kongs are good safe chew items. I would steer away from rawhide/pig's ears at least initially. I don't give rawhide at all myself.

Stainless steel bowls are great - easy to keep clean and you'll really never have to replace it. A sturdy 6' leash and regular buckle collar are necessary. Since this dog was found wandering he is likely one that ran away from home (and probably more than once). Be very careful about keeping him on lead until you can train him for a reliable recall. I would not even leave him in a fenced yard unsupervised if the fence is not at least 6-8' tall. A Lab can clear a 4' fence easy.

And sign up for an obedience class soon.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Agree with the above - a vet visit is imPortant even though the dog is up to date on their shots. I also agree with using a crate even if he is reliable - I always crate fosters

Good luck.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Couldn't wait until tomorrow, too excited. We went to see Gunner today and both my wife and I fell in love with him. I can only describe him as being a gentle giant. We walked with him on a lead for about an hour and not once did he pull. When we stopped walking and I said "sit" he sat right down. I must say there was a sadness about him but were sure we can correct that by giving him a loving home. We were sad also when we had to leave him there. They insist on neutering him before we can adopt him and then they do an inspection of our home. We are (not too patiently) waiting to hear from them.

pbc
    pbc is offline Senior Member

Godo luck with Gunner. I hope everything works out with him and that he will be by your side before you know it.

brody is offline Senior Member

insisting on neutering is great news .. tough to wait but well worth it ... so glad it's a go
    you've gotten ver good advice above
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast