Otis needs help!

Thread: Otis needs help!

casclassicsjohn is offline Junior Member

DefaultOtis needs help!

I Have a 3 1/2 year old male yellow lab up for adoption. I'll be right up front… This dog is near perfect except 2 things, a biting problem and he also goes crazy when caged. He is very over protective of his owner, in this case me. A super watchdog, but overly aggressive with just certain people, not animals. He is NOT a strong alpha male and plays well with other dogs… Name is Otis.
    He is a super traveler, isn't a chewer, Obeys commands, loves to play ball and is used to living indoors with a house full of antiques with no problems. Uses a dog door to go outside when allowed to do so. Never messed in the house. Spends 12 hours alone with no problems, loose in the house.
    Needs the right owner willing to correct his problem. Otis would do best with a couple or single owner that would have full control of Otis' interaction with other people. Most people he loves but there have been instances where for some odd reason he does not like someone. Unless I can find a way to fix his problem or find him a new owner willing to work with him I will need to euthanize him by the end of the month. This is going to break my heart because he is such a loyal loveable animal.

One of the board members, Sandie (The Texas Tank) has had Otis at her home several times and cannot imagine him biting anyone. He got along famously with her Tank and Orson and never showed any signs of aggression. Why he picks "certain people" like the electric meter man or my neighbor down the street is beyond me.

Last edited by casclassicsjohn; 08-12-2010 at 06:10 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Have you worked with a trainer/behaviorist (who would put the dog in a situation that would set him off to see what it is and give you hands on tips on what to do)? Sounds like the type of dog that needs knowlege beyong "normal dog people" (like you and I) but rather someone who has experience and reasearch in this type of thing

Otherwise you may have a hard time, there are just so many dogs (and labs) out there with no "biting issues".
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

casclassicsjohn is offline Junior Member

I live in the Upper Peninsula and where I am those services are not available. I'm 90 to100 miles from a large town.

Thanks for the advise,
    John

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

The Texas Tank is offline Senior Member

Otis is a very sweet dog. I just cannot imagine him biting anybody. He has been very loving in our home when he visits. I think it is a protection thing with him but just what kind of situation or person sets it off is the problem.

Here is previous post with pictures of Orson and Otis.

https://justlabradors.com/forum/lab-c...it-5-pics.html
    Last edited by The Texas Tank; 08-11-2010 at 03:59 PM.
    Sandie, Tank 5/25/1998 - 07/08/2011, Orson & Sully