Central Oklahoma -- someone dumped two female chocolates...

Thread: Central Oklahoma -- someone dumped two female chocolates...

steveandginger is offline Senior Member

DefaultCentral Oklahoma -- someone dumped two female chocolates...

...near our house yesterday. They appear to be about two years old, roughly 65 to 70 pounds, and likely litter mates. One had a collar with no ID, the other had no collar. I had them checked for electronic ID, which also turned up nothing.

The dogs appear very healthy and are in very good shape, appropriate weight, and no signs of sickness of any kind. They appear to have had basic obedience training (they would respond well to "sit" and "stay" commands). They are used to being on a leash (they accepted a leash well -- sticking their necks out while I attached the leash), but do not appear to heel particularly well. I introduced them to our yellow, Misty, and they interacted with her appropriately implying that they have been socialized with other dogs. They were very friendly, and appear to have the typical Labrador temperament. When leashed, they sat/laid calmly; when unleashed, they showed the typical Labrador curiousity and enthusiasm while remaining clearly responsive to humans/human commands.

Despite my daughter's protests, we cannot keep these two. After trying second chance (they said they have no room) and a couple of lab rescue organizations in the state but to no avail (at least not "quickly" -- it would be a several-week process), I took them to the local animal shelter. They will keep them for 5 days to see if anyone claims ownership, and then they will put the dogs up for adoption. If no one adopts them, they euthanize.

I cannot stand to think that these two would be euthanized, but also cannot keep two more labs at our house. If you are interested in adopting these two, please PM me.

Thanks!

Steve G.
    Last edited by steveandginger; 01-21-2010 at 12:06 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mosmama is offline Senior Member

Have you posted info (what you know) and pics at local vets or called them to see if anyone is missing them? Maybe you could post pics on here, too. I'd hate to see anything bad happen to them.
    Mo
    May 17, 1998 - May 20, 2009

The Love of My Life
    Rest in peace my Sweet Chocolate
    I Love You and Miss You so much

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

LIMO

I would hate to see that, also...

No, I haven't posted pics at the local vet offices yet. I called our vet yesterday to ask for advice; they advised that I call the lab rescues. That though, like I said, was somewhat of a roadblock.

I have sent out a mass email here at work, and am talking to everyone I know who might be interested. No luck yet, but I'm hopeful. It's only been a half a day so far.

I made a mistake in not taking pictures of the dogs before I took them to the local shelter. I will check with them to see if I might be able to come in and get some pictures, but I should have done it before. My brain was so frazzled (by my own concerns about the dogs, and my crying daughter!) that I obviously forgot this detail...

Steve

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Good idea to check with local vets. You may also want to consider placing an ad in the paper, if they could do it quickly enough. It sounds like these are two very well-behaved dogs who have been on walks and know basic manners and commands. Not the typical dogs that someone dumps. It's possible that they escaped a fence, or someone let them out of the house. It's easy to assume that dogs found wandering were dumped, but in reality they are often just escapees.

AngusFangus --

Turns out you were completely correct. I just found out after going to the shelter to check on the dogs that the owner called to see if the dogs had been found -- and so were coming to get them.

The reasons I assumed they were dumped were first of all that people dump dogs near where I live (on the rural fringe of a college town) frequently. It seems like maybe this is more frequent here than I recall at other areas I've lived -- possibly due to college kids who change homes/apartments/roommates and can't keep their pets anymore. The other reason I thought they were probably dumped was the fact that the dogs were not tagged, only one had a collar, and neither had an electronic chip. Since I wouldn't have expected someone with dogs of that quality NOT to have ID of some sort on the dogs, I figured it was another case of dumping. Plus, I jog 4-5 miles a few times a week, and so am familiar with most of the dogs which live within a few miles of my house. I did not know these ones.

In any case, the good news is that they are back with their owner. I just hope the lack of ID/collar on them doesn't imply that the owners don't take good care of them...

Steve