How much homemade dog food to give?

Thread: How much homemade dog food to give?

DefaultHow much homemade dog food to give?

My husband did not kill me for trying this on Christmas eve!!! But I made some homemade dog food: 1/3 meat, 1/3 rice, 1/3 vegetables. (rice is wholegrain, and meat is beef liver and chicken innards)

And I made it without a clue as to how much to feed to my dogs :scare:

So, two lab females, spayed, about 60 lbs and 50 lbs. I don't want to feed too much coz the littler one really has a tendency to put on the weight. What would be a good amount?

Thanks very much, and a Merry Christmas to all of you

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: How much homemade dog food to give?

Please don't take this wrong, but that is not a balanced meal for dogs. If you want to learn more about homemade foods and/or raw feeding, go into that section of the board and they tell you exactly what you need to do so what you make is healthy and balanced for your dog.

Laura

talleyJudy is offline Senior Member

labby is right about their diet needing to be 'balanced'.

From my viewpoint I think your formulation is a bit too weighty on organ meats and lacks the proteins found in muscle meat.

A while back my old Auggie began refusing Evo, California Natural, and Merrick's canned food; we used the canned food to 'prime' her (get her started eating) so that she would go on to eat her Evo kibble..... we have since switched that too.

So then I started 'cooking' for her. My 'formulation' is a bit different from yours and I'm not sure of the proportions.

1 1/4 lb. of stew beef
    1 cup of long grain whole brown rice
    2 cups of 'organic' (low salt/no msg) beef or chicken broth
    1 cup water
    heaping 1/2 cup of frozen peas&carrots
    1cup of frozen green beans

bring to a slow boil, reduce heat to simmer, cover and simmer for 50 minutes.

At each of her two meals a day Auggie gets 1/2 of a quarter pound hamberger ( broken in pieces to get the 8 pills down her gullet) and her meal consists of 1/2 cup of home cooked stew and 1/2 cup of Taste of the Wild kibble. Plus a tea spoon of high lignan fax oil; and at her evening meal she additionally gets maybe a 1/4 cup of leftovers and to lick the dishes. :surprise: Quite often I will add a table spoon of plain yogurt or cottage cheese to her morning meal. Auggie weighs 79 lbs., is old, a bit overweight and would be considered inactive.

There is lots of good information and references on this subject in the Natural/Raw/Holistic section of this forum.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." author Will Rogers

Auggie 12/29/95 ~ 01/15/09

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

I strongly suggest getting the book Home-prepared Dog and Cat Diets, The Healthful Alternative by Donald Strombeck.
    Kim