Hot spot...staph infection? Pic included...

Thread: Hot spot...staph infection? Pic included...

DefaultHot spot...staph infection? Pic included...

I just noticed this spot on Abbey's back inner leg, by her knee (about 1/2 dime size). She doesn't seem to bother with it much, but it does look sore. I did a thorough body check and this is the only lesion. Would you guess hot spot, or staph infection or something else?

She's a smelly dog, and I know it's not normal for healthy labs to smell. It's not a "doggy smell," it's like nasty stinky feet or rotten gym clothes and she can stink up the whole house. We bath her infrequently, only when we can't bare the overwhelming stench any longer. I just picked up some Listerine to try a quick spray down everyday, and to see if that helps.

From my own research the smell and her oily fur (we have to wash our hands after petting her) it seems to be seborrhea, but without the scaly skin. Her skin looks great, but she makes too much oil. This, without a bath, goes rancid and she stinks to high heaven. She doesn't scratch, her ears don't smell and her skin looks great, but she is oily and stinky. She was last at the vet this summer and I mentioned it casually to the vet, but the vet thought she was fine and just smelled like "puppy." Maybe I'll bring her in when she's super stinky and see what the vet says. I also checked out yeast infections...could be, but her skin looks great?

She stunk even before her first bath. I tried soooo hard to avoid the bath, because I know the lab vs bath debate.

Any suggestions? Could oily skin be the only symptom of allergies. She's 58lbs and 11mths old...maybe she needs more food?

She gets fed Canidae chicken and rice.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

SawyerAndMe990 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Hot spot...staph infection? Pic included...

Hmmmmmm im really not sure. My Cocker Spaniel and my late Lab/Saint Bernard both got hot spots often. Really it doesent look like that. Someone more helpful will come along soon im sure. Maybe even call your vet and describe what it looks like.
    Sawyer And Morrison

Lab
    Lab/Basset Hound (maybe some Beagle)

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately for us, the vet clinic is closed this week for Christmas. We're a small town and the vet is only here twice a week. I'll definitely be taking her in next week though.

All my yakking about Abbey's "good skin," it was....until now! LOL

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Doesn't really look like a hot spot. They are usually weepy and sticky. My dog did terribly on Canidae, had a terrible coat.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Canidae recently changed their formula, and I've been hearing lots of bad things about it, unfortunately. Maybe the new formula isn't working well for her? If it is a mild staph infection I used oregano oil on Baloo's in the summer and it cleared right up (both topically and orally)

Also, how often do you wash her bedding? I find Baloo only ever starts to smell if I haven't washed his bedding in a looonnnggg time (usually over a month, bad me! :embarrass
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

JodiB74 is offline Member

My Tucker had one of those about a year ago. I think it was a little staph the vet said. I would try to keep antibiotic cream on it until you get to the vet. He gave us something a little stronger and maybe by mouth if I remember correctly. I have pictures of Tucker's too, because of course when we found his it was the weekend and I emailed my godmother pictures because she is a vet tech. So you can compare the two if you'd like. They are very similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo317
    Canidae recently changed their formula, and I've been hearing lots of bad things about it, unfortunately. Maybe the new formula isn't working well for her? If it is a mild staph infection I used oregano oil on Baloo's in the summer and it cleared right up (both topically and orally)

Also, how often do you wash her bedding? I find Baloo only ever starts to smell if I haven't washed his bedding in a looonnnggg time (usually over a month, bad me! :embarrass
    I'm aware Canidae changed their food. It very well could be the food, assuming issues with food aren't always immediate.

Abbey doesn't have bedding, because she stinks! I bought her a bed, but it's still sitting in its package unused. I didn't want her using it on the off chance we're dealing with yeast, which can be insanely hard to get rid of. She sleeps in her crate, which gets bleached out regularly and she's confined to the dining room and kitchen, where there isn't carpet.

Her coat is already a touch oily. It happens so fast. It's not stinky yet, but it's already starting. I'm hoping the Listerine will keep her from getting so bad.

Thanks for the pic JodiB74, it does look similar.