anybody use Nutro Natural Choice for large dogs?

Thread: anybody use Nutro Natural Choice for large dogs?

M. Tornado Puppy Guest

Defaultanybody use Nutro Natural Choice for large dogs?

I just bought a bag of Nutro Natural Choice for large dogs and then came home and googled it and ... well ... Let's just say I'm a little nervous now after this website: http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0...recalls93.html.

I called the 1-800 # on the dog food bag and the lady who answered, naturally, blew off this website as a "blog." She assured me that my dog food was made in the US and is perfectly healthy.

Should I just toss out the food ... all 35 lbs of it?

Does anyone use this food with success?

Help ...

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: anybody use Nutro Natural Choice for large dogs?

I've been feeding the sensitive stomach (chicken/oatmeal) formula to Kaylie and Tristan for years now with great success (Kaylie has an incredibly tricky tummy and this is the only food other than home-prepared that doesn't trigger her colitis) - Kaylie is probably 14 years old now and looks and acts marvellous

M. Tornado Puppy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by kaytris
    I've been feeding the sensitive stomach (chicken/oatmeal) formula to Kaylie and Tristan for years now with great success (Kaylie has an incredibly tricky tummy and this is the only food other than home-prepared that doesn't trigger her colitis) - Kaylie is probably 14 years old now and looks and acts marvellous
    Okay. I'm calming now. Thanks!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I fed Puff Nutro Natural Choice Large Breed Puppy (largely on the advice of our vet) for her first 12 months BUT since then, Nutro has had a LOT of problems with their foods, changed ingredients without proper labeling, and typically denies all problems. About a year or so ago, they were bought out by Mars. It sounds like a repeat of old problems.

After reading the link you gave, if it was me, I'd buy something else, do a switch over (over 9-12 days -- 1/4th new & 3/4the old for 3-4 days; then 1/2 & 1/2 for 3-4 days; then 3/4th new & 1/4th old for 3-4 days).

If you have a Costco within driving distance, their Kirkland C, R & V is an excellent fairly cheap food -- and around here, a 40 lbs. bag is $23 including tax.

If you don't, the same company that makes the Kirkland for Costco also sells Diamond Naturals (plain Diamond is cheaper and has poorer ingredients) which is a somewhat similar food (although I prefer the Kirkland formula). With this link you can find the locations of their widely available dealers: www.diamondpet.com/products/diamond_naturals/

"Taste of The Wild" dog food (made by the same company that makes Kirkland, Diamond, Diamond Naturals, Chicken Soup for the..., and others) probably has the best ingredients but is far more expensive.

Also, many people on JL feed Purina Pro-Plan
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

If you want a food that is simular but IMO even better and priced better look for Diamond Naturals Large Breed L/R
    Kim

M. Tornado Puppy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Pr.
    After reading the link you gave, if it was me, I'd buy something else, do a switch over (over 9-12 days -- 1/4th new & 3/4the old for 3-4 days; then 1/2 & 1/2 for 3-4 days; then 3/4th new & 1/4th old for 3-4 days).
    thanks!

Snowflake is offline Senior Member

I saw that link when it first came out also. I feel Sally Nutro. I was concerned, naturally, but then realized it had to be something fishy with it. If Nutro was *that* bad and causing *that* many medical problems and especially deaths, don't you think somebody besides that site would be on it? Don't you think it would be all over the news like the menu foods recall thing was? Don't you think they would recall it immediately?

Of course they would! Any company is not going to leave their product out there if it's killing animals! That's financial suicide.

I have no idea what this site is all about or why Nutro was targeted so badly, but something just isn't right there. I dismissed it. :suspious:

I'm not saying Nutro is the best food out there. I know there are a lot of other foods better than Nutro. But if you're going to critique foods, be sure to use facts such as ingredients and nutritional analysis and not some fluke website! :suspious:

If Nutro works for you, then keep feeding it. Nutro works for Sally, so we're still with it.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I wouldn't feed it based on numerous factors, but this site is one of them:
    http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_f...t=1006&cat=all

Waaaayyy too grain heavy for me. And when there are such better options out there, why settle for that if you don't have to?
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!