How cold is too cold?

Thread: How cold is too cold?

DefaultHow cold is too cold?

So, it looks like Iowa winter is here to stay, and I'm just wondering about the same concerns I had last winter, but never asked about. Tomorrow it's supposed to be around 30 below with the wind chill, and while I don't mind the extra nine layers of clothing for our walk, is that just too cold for Polly to do our regular morning mile and a half? She doesn't have any boots or sweaters (boyfriend says no clothes), but last year it didn't seem to bother her too much, and we walk on the sidewalk to avoid salty paw syndrome. I'd appreciate any thoughts.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: How cold is too cold?

We've used "Musher's Secret" for many winters to protect Puff's paws from snow and ice buildup and also as a barrier against salt.

You can read the customer reviews for the product on www.amazon.com -->
    http://www.amazon.com/review/product...owViewpoints=1

I've found that www.kvvet.com usually has the best prices on the large size container:
    http://www.kvvet.com/KVVet/product_f...B4947CC3C9D278

That low temp is unlikely to cause a healthy Lab problems as long as they can stay active (walking, running, retrieving).
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

I just googled wind chill calculator and at the bottom it gives you a chart to go tell you how long you can be outside. It's based on temp and wind speed. According to the chart you don't want to be out more than a half hour. If you could doggy boots and a coat would help.
    Olie

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks a lot for the advice -- I'll definitely be getting some Musher's Secret!

tessaduncan is offline Member

The last couple of days it's been very cold & the snow is pretty deep here in Michigan. A couple of times when we let Tessa out to potty, she'd be lifting her paws and then just lie down. This is only after a few minutes. She's only 2yo & never seemed to have any hip or leg problems before. She runs around butt-tucking when my son is out playing with her. Could it just be too cold for her or something more ominous?

Where are you in Michigan? Sometimes they will get snow stuck in their pads and it makes walking painful and very cold.
    Olie

Northern suburb of Detroit. My previous lab, Logan, did this in her later years & she suffered from HD so that's why I'm kind of nervous. Tessa's not laying down because she likes the cold on her tummy, she just seems to 'give up' and we have to encourage her to get up & come back in & she's not that far away. She does do the picking up her paws thing first though so they obviously bother her yet when she's fetching snowballs, she has no problem. Oh, and she does seem to be chewing on her paws occasionally when she is in the house but they look OK.

Quote Originally Posted by tessaduncan
    Northern suburb of Detroit. My previous lab, Logan, did this in her later years & she suffered from HD so that's why I'm kind of nervous. Tessa's not laying down because she likes the cold on her tummy, she just seems to 'give up' and we have to encourage her to get up & come back in & she's not that far away. She does do the picking up her paws thing first though so they obviously bother her yet when she's fetching snowballs, she has no problem. Oh, and she does seem to be chewing on her paws occasionally when she is in the house but they look OK.
    Nothing to do with HD....her feet are cold when she's not moving. When it's super cold, mine don't go out unless it's a quick trip to potty or I'm running around playing with them. If they go out by themselves, it's just a matter of moments 'til the older ones are laying down (conserving heat) because they're not running around like idiots like the babies Chewing on her feet inside is probably due to there having been snow in there and it feels wierd. Wipe her feet dry when she comes in and it should stop.

Thanks for putting my worries to rest. Tessa's a really healthy girl - very strong, active & muscular. Heck, she's Bono's littermate so I know she's of good breeding! Merry Christmas and give Bono a smooch from his sis!

I can totally relate. It's so cold up here in southern Manitoba that Abbey plays for about 10min and then she starts holding her paws up and starts to shiver. Way too cold for her...too bad she has so much energy, yet it's too cold to do anything. Now she just walks around and grumbles and groans, 'cause she's bored.