9wk Pup, not a big eater

Thread: 9wk Pup, not a big eater

YukonsMom is offline Member

Default9wk Pup, not a big eater

Hi, I'm Linda "YukonsMom" from Long Island. We have had our new male English yellow lab named Yukon for a week now. He's 9 wks old and seems energetic, healthy and to have adjusted well to our family.

We are feeding him Purina pro plan lamb and rice puppy formula with a little warm water because that's what his breeder fed him. He gets 1 cup at breakfast lunch and dinner. My worry though, is that he just nibbles a bit and then wanders away. I often bring him to his bowl so he will eat and it takes 2 hours or so for him to have his "meal". Rarely will he go to the bowls himself. I wind up tossing what's left and giving him fresh when the next mealtime comes. Over the course of the day he eats about 2 1/4 cups of food. Is this normal? I'm not sure how much he needs to eat.

Today I am trying to take away the bowl after a certain time to see if he'll get hungry for the next meal. In September we put to sleep our beloved black lab Gunner who was 13. He had inhaled his food from his 1st day home, so maybe that's why I'm worried. I could use some advice if possible. Thank you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaznalf is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: 9wk Pup, not a big eater

I always lift the bowl if it doesnt get eaten if not they learn to pick all day plus poop around the clock! Im sure with you lifting the bowl after a couple of days he will start to pick up with his eating habits

Thank you for answering me! I hope taking it away helps. Do you know how much he should be eating?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaznalf is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by YukonsMom
    Thank you for answering me! I hope taking it away helps. Do you know how much he should be eating?
    We got Alfie at 22 weeks and at that age he had 1 cup per meal, 3 meals a day now he has 4 cups split into 2 meals.

Maybe 3 cups for a young pup is too much, look at the guidelines on the pack and compare to his age and weight

brody is offline Senior Member

3 cups of kibble sounds like an awful lot for a 9 week old puppy - maybe the breeder was feeding that much to him and his siblings?

I have always found more small meals easier for puppies than few large ones - look at your day and see if you can add another feeding if you are really worried - otherwise I'd cut him back to 1/2 cup per meal til he's polishing that off

also some puppies prefer to eat a little more at one meal (around here it often seems to be breakfast)
    As long as he's growing and active and bright he's probably eating enough - you may want to weigh him (at the same time of day) for a little to reassure yourself

hang in there

http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member

I feel your worry...but don't.
    I too had a picky lab pup who didn't seem to eat much. I cajoled, hand-fed, did everything. Nothing changed.
    He is now almost 3 and still is picky and doesn't eat much. He's also is in wonderful condition...not skinny...not fat.
    He just seems to regulate his weight (very unlab like). If he exercises alot he wants more food and we give it to him. If weather forces a couple of couch potatoe days he may skip a meal altogether. I now consider myself lucky and have just stopped worrying about it.

My first Lab (many years ago) never left a crumb in her dish....not as a pup and not as an adult.
    When we first got our current dog she was 8 weeks old. We were also advised to feed about 1 cup three times a day. Well she ate great for the first day, but by day 2 she slowed right down and no way would she finish that full cup of food morning, noon, and dinner. Of course we were concerned that something was wrong and consulted our vet even though everything seemed fine otherwise. The vet checked her out and said all was well. She wasn't really a picky eater as she would eat the food, but 3 cups a day was apparently just too much at that point. We thought we were going to have one of those rare labs who could be trusted to self regulate how much they ate, but no. Her labrador appetite kicked in it at about 4 months old....literally over night. If she left part of her meal now (or turned down food) I would be really worried. It's hard for us to believe she ever left part of her meal. I was so concerned when she did this as a pup that I kept a log of how much she ate each meal every day...even after the Vet told me she was fine and not to worry. You could always consult your Vet or talk to your breeder to be sure all is okay. I did both. Congrats on your new puppy by the way!

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

3 cups/day for a 9 week old pup? That sounds like a LOT to me.

How much does Yukon weigh?

My Puff at 9 weeks (and 9 lbs.) ate less than a half cup 3X/day. But by the time she was about 9 months, she was eating 5 cups/day (in 2 meals) but then quite rapidly declined to about 1.25 cups 2X/day. (She skipped eating entirely for a couple days before resuming again at a lesser level.)

BTW, IMO, feeding guidelines on dog food bags usually grossly over-recommend the amount to offer dogs. Shheeesh!! You'd almost think they're trying to increase their sales of dog food. :suspious: :surprise:

I suggest you do this: measure the amount you offer Yukon then pick it up any remaining after 15 minutes and then offer the amount eaten at the next meal. Whenever he finishes everything within the 15 minutes, increase the amount offered at the next meal by 1/4 cup.

Do the same with each meal. I think you'll find a gradual increase in amount eaten until somewhere around the 7-10 month old age range at which time -- for rare, "mutant" self-regulating Labs like I have -- there's a fairly rapid decline to the adult maintenance level.

However, for the more common, typical non-self-regulating Labs, you'll need to do the food reduction at that time by your monitoring Yukon's appearance and body condition.

ETA: http://www.purina.com/dogs/health/bodycondition.aspx
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

1 cup three times a day doens't sound like a lot to me.

I'm willing to bet that your puppy, from the picture alone and your description of 'English'...that he is way more than 9lbs Puff.

My 8 week olds went home at 22lbs.

I'd put the food down and let him eat for 5 minutes, whether he eats or not. I pick up the bowl and he gets it again the next meal, not before.

Thank you everybody. I haven't been ignoring your good advice, I've implemented some of it and then watched him. Limiting the length of his meal to a certain time frame seems to have helped. He's eating about 2 1/2 cups a day and it seems right for him. He also eats when we put the bowl down now as opposed to me practically hand-feeding him

I weighed him and he's about 16-17 lbs. We go to our Vet on Monday and he can let us know what he thinks too. Thank you again, now I'm off to read about puppy biting.