severe front shoulder pain **UPDATE**
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: severe front shoulder pain **UPDATE**

Falkor is offline Junior Member

Defaultsevere front shoulder pain **UPDATE**

Hi all, I am fairly new to the board. I have lurked for about 3mths before I joined for some wart help. Now I am in need of some help as my dog (Falkor)jumped off a bed onto a laminate floor and was in immediate discomfort in the front left shoulder area. This progressed to the point of uncontrolled yelping when he got up from a sleep.He sounded like he was being killed and would only calm down after I massaged the area. I immediately called the vet as we had seen this about 2yrs back when he also jumped and injured the same area.
    the Vet prescribed PREDSISONE for pain and inflammation. This seems to help a bit but he seems skittish about walking on floors without carpet and reluctant to eat and drink without some encouragement.
    I was wondering if there is any natural product for inflammation that we could use as prolonged use of Prednisone can do serious damage to some organs.
    All help would be greatly appreciated. Thanx.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: severe front shoulder pain

Find another vet. I've given my dog Metacam for short periods of time for pain, but it's wise to have blood tests drawn before giving NSAIDs. Sounds like it may be a soft tissue injury and they can take a long time to heal. Sounds like you need to put down some area rugs on the flooring. Hope he finds some relief soon.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Fish oil can be great for inflammation, maybe talk to the vet about a therapeutic dose of that (would be higher than a "maintenance" dose).
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

After some intense searching and popular opinion with the hunters on some of my other boards I have started him on Glucosamine & Chondroitin and also The Omega marine fish oil. These people really work thier dogs and if anyone knows how to keep his labby happy it's hunters.
    We'll see over the next few days how it works.....Oh and we bought a few area rugs for the sides of the bed and hall.

Dani is offline Senior Member

Oh, so us pet owners don't know how to keep their dogs? Wow. You won't see immediate improvement with a soft tissue and glucosimine regiment. The initial dosing for glucosimine is 1500 mg for 6 weeks and then 1000 mg maintenance after that. You need to leash walk only and crate rest in addition to this...and be patient...it's going to take awhile.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Just to second what Dani said about the length of time for G&C to be effective from my own experience --

I take G&C to reduce some arthritic pain in my knees. A few years ago, I went on an extended trip and forgot to bring it. After about 10 days, the pain returned so I immediately bought some G&C to take. It took about 15-20 days to build up the titer within my body to the level that it was effective again.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Dani, don't get all knotted. Nobody said pet owners don't know how to keep thier dogs healthy. My hunter friends dogs are also thier "best friend" and family pets.. If you read the post right I said i did some intense searching and that means getting as much opinions as possible and going with the most popular of rememdies, what have I got to lose.
    I have knocked the prednisone back to 1 during the day as he is most active. I have included in his diet G&C at 1500mg along with Omega fish oil. Also he is being given a 5 minute light walk twice a day to loosen him up along with a shoulder massage that he just loves. .
    As of this writing he has shown improvement and there has'nt been a yelp from him . I'll keep my fingers crossed that this is the right avenue.

DefaultRe: severe front shoulder pain **UPDATE**

It has almost been a month now since Falkors injury and I am happy to report he is full of piss and vinegar again. I will however continue the G&C and omega oils once a day for a maintenance.
    He over his fear of the laminate ,holding his head high again and his tail is back to that thump thump again.
    One thing I have noticed is that his fur loss is way down now and his watering eyes have cleared up. I guess it could be attributed to the omegas?
    Thanx for all help and advice offered on this board, it was greatly appreciated.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Great news, thanks for the update.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Just curious, how much would G/C help if all it was was a soft tissue injury?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast