Argh...sprained ankle?

Thread: Argh...sprained ankle?

DefaultArgh...sprained ankle?

Hi all! Haven't been here in ages! Our 'little' lab Bunny is hurt. She hasn't walked on her rear leg in 3 days now. I don't see excessive swelling, maybe some at her ankle. She doesn't cry or whine, but we all know they rarely do. I spoke with a vet's office, but I think I'd like to wait if I can. I think it's sprained, but I'm not sure. I hate to get $200 in xrays to find out I have to keep doing what I'm doing (keeping her calm, etc.). She still tries to run outside and chase iguanas (we live in Key West LOL) but she is definitely not putting weight on that paw. I just can't decide if it could be something more serious that MUST be seen, or if it will heal on its own. FWIW, I wouldn't bring myself in to the doctor for a sprain either...it's just hard with a dog who can't tell you exactly what the deal is!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Argh...sprained ankle?

Time to get her into the vet, regardless of the price. Dogs, Labs in particular, are very stoic. If they're not using a limb, then it's hurting really badly.

Laura

I was getting ready to get her an appt...and she just escaped from the house and went bounding around the circle. She did actually use it a little...what do you think that means? Vet or no? We don't have the best vets here in general. If she's willing to book it down the street for a bit, do you think it could be something that bad? Or do you think it's the excitement that made her forget it temporarily? The vet wouldn't be able to see her til tomorrow regardless.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I agree with Laura, three days with no weight is more than a sprain.
    Olie

I agree about taking her to the vet. However, have you examined her foot pads on that foot? Every once in awhile Belle will scrape a layer of skin off her foot pad (especially on icy crusty snow), and will not bear weight on it for several days.

I'd say she should still be seen by a vet unless she's using it 100%. Check the foot over like Karen suggested, but she should still be seen. Rest her until you get that vet appointment.

Laura

Thanks, her pads were my first thought but nothing there. I checked for glass, cuts, etc. I "wish" it were something that simple (not that I wish she'd be hurt!!). Poor pooch....I wish she hadn't gotten out and run around, my 4 year old left the door open and you know how they take their opportunities! I was doing so well keeping her rested. I'll have to figure out who the best is to see here...still asking around. We moved here a few months ago and only saw the military vet (and they were HORRIBLE...I'll never go back there...stuck her THREE TIMES for a blood draw, I mean my dog and cat CRIED during their shots, I've never seen that before!!!).

Let us know what you find out. Good luck.

Laura

So in a completely strange turn of events, Bunny is now walking on her leg like nothing happened. Maybe she babied it because she thought it still hurt? Maybe I have the wimp of labs? :surprise:

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Well, I'd probably still have her checked out if it were me, and I don't think I'm one of the "run to the vet for everything" people. Things like a luxating patella could cause that kind of on-again-off-again lameness. With the right manipulation, a vet would be able to diagnose that easily without x-rays.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!