Aaaahhhhh the Shame....a Poop Eater in the Family
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aaaahhhhh the Shame....a Poop Eater in the Family

lablover88 is offline Member

DefaultAaaahhhhh the Shame....a Poop Eater in the Family

So, Bailey, my 5 yr old yellow, has started eating his poop again. He did it when he was a puppy until we moved into an apartment and no longer had a backyard. Now, we're back in a house with a backyard and he is munching again both on his own poops and the other dogs' poos. I have read through all the past postings and I notice that there is no clear consensus on whether nutrition plays a role. I assume that's because it's up for debate. Bailey has been eating Nutro his whole life. My vet says he's at an ideal weight and looks great.

So, I'd like to conduct a little "survey." Do you all think that nutrition plays a part in this nasty habit? Could Bailey not be getting enough food/nutrients? Should I switch his food to something else? If so, any suggestions?

Thanks all for helping with this shameful problem. :no: I'm curious to know what you all think about the nutrition issue.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

brody is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Aaaahhhhh the Shame....a Poop Eater in the Family

a LOT of dogs that can otherwise resist the urge get lured in by frozen poopsicles

I don't think it's a nutritional thing - tho I could see why it could be seen that way - my occasional poop eater is ALWAYS starving .. and I suspect she's filling her belly but I have had a NUMBER of shi's over the years who have munched on poop - so maybe it's a breed thing sometimes too?

it is a frustrating habit that's for sure

my empathy and sympathy!
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

Shane23 is offline Senior Member

I don't think it's nutritional at all. My oldest lab didn't eat poop until we got a second dog. I think he eats it so that Shane won't, although I'm just guessing.
    Laura

Summerlin's Inspired by Armani CD (Shane)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

*raising hand, embarrassed*

I have a poop eater here as well. Henry has dabbled in poop eating ever since he was a puppy. I personally don't believe that it's a nutrition issue with him (ie. his diet must be lacking in something therefore he eats poop to try to glean the nutrients from the poop that he's missing out on) as he eats well... half raw and half grain-free kibble.

I pray that Oliver doesn't start. *hurk*

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

I have two here. As you see your not alone. There is some folks who say they have had success with fig newtons. I keep forgetting to buy some. Going shopping in a bit and maybe I will remember.
    I just heard recently of someone using pineapple successfully. I never had any success with it though. Gunna give the figs a try. If they don't work, oh well I LOVES EM!
    Kim

lablover88 is offline Member

Nice to know I'm not alone in this shameful existence! I really don't think it's nutritional either. I'm gonna try the pineapple and figs. We'll see...

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

I remembered to purchase my fig newton cookies today. Scared to open them in fear I may eat them LOL
    Let ya know how things go here.
    Kim

charlie has started this nasty habit of eating other dogs poop, he used to do it when he was a pup then he seemed to grow out of it, so now when im walking him all you can hear is me telling him uuhh uhh dont you dare! he just looks at me as if to say whats your problem!

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

Abby used to eat Yeller's all the time at one point - then she would stop in the summer and resume in the winter. I had to get really good at getting out there before she did to help combat it. I tried pineapple juice, you name it. Since she's been eating raw she's stopped though, although when the cold weather comes I'll catch her out there looking for a poopsicle from time to time.
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I have a poop eater. Luckily it isn't a consistent thing. He does do it when he is on Pred and started doing it again after 2 months. He is back on Pred. Often when I changed his food he will start again.
    He eats kitty poop any day.

I have tried everything. Pinapple, all sorts of food things. Even telling the poop it is bad. Neighbours love this one.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast