One last bare spot on my lab

Thread: One last bare spot on my lab

DefaultOne last bare spot on my lab

I have a 6yo female lab who as a puppy got guardarella (? some parasite from dirty water) and has been very sensitive ever since. So, some time ago I was successfully treating her skin condition when someone said I should put some stuff on her which totally blew away everything I had done. So I have now treated her for mange, mites, and something else, and her whole skin condition has improved except for the area right around her backside (yes, there ).

What could be causing an itch there? I have wormed her regularly and seen no sign of worms, so I don't think it's that, but she continues to itch and cause herself a bare spot there. Sometimes it even gets all swollen. This is the last little bit...

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, and suggestions for home remedies too!

Thanks very much!!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: One last bare spot on my lab

Could be anal glands. What skin condition were you treating? As far as I know Giardia is an intestinal illness, not skin.

Quote Originally Posted by MicksMom
    Could be anal glands. What skin condition were you treating? As far as I know Giardia is an intestinal illness, not skin.
    I know, but it just seems like after that, she threw up a lot and the skin problems started, so I just always think that it was the Giardia that caused it.

I don't think it's anal glands because they aren't swollen and she doesn't have an odor problem.

At one time, it seemed like she had a food allergy, but she threw up everything we gave her except Gravy Train which I got in an emergency, so I have stuck to that. But maybe this is an allergy to something in the GT; I am hoping that it could be something else so that I don't have to do what we did before, which was to look all over for food for her and have her throw it up anyway. (That was kind of ghastly, and we live really far away from everywhere so it's tough to even find other foods.)

Thanks very much!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Anal gland or a worm problem is probably your culprit.

I would suggest a food switch.

Ingredients:
    Corn, soybean meal, beef and bone meal, animal fat, animal digest, salt, cellulose gum, caramel color, potassium chloride, bone phosphate, choline chloride, minerals (ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, manganous oxide, copper sulfate, calcium iodate, sodium selenite), pantothenate, riboflavin supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamin mononitrate, vitamin A supplement, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin D3 supplement), dried beef stock, red 40, yellow 5, yellow 6, blue 2, BHA (preservative), tocopherols (preservative), citric acid (preservative).

Poor nutrition can cause anal gland problems. Gravy Train is compromised mainly of undigestable grain and very little meat which won't be doing your dog any favours. Nor will all the artifical colours and preservatives included in this food.

If you can't find any decent dog foods locally, you could order online and have it delivered.

Eek - I had no idea that they were still making Gravy Train. Since you have access to a computer, you should be able to order and have shipped a better quality food, which will likely help her skin heal. There are many that have sensitive stomach formulas - or you could try one with minimal ingredients (like Wellness Simple Solutions which has one novel protein and one novel grain).