Can't hold urine long
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't hold urine long

LuvRgirl is offline Senior Member

DefaultCan't hold urine long

Our new chocolate lab Bella Mia is almost 4 months. When we took her to the vet last week for her shots the vet noticed that her vulva is larger then it should be. He said when he spays her he will nip it a bit. I told him, she urinates a lot, and I mean a lot. She doesn't wet in her crate and sleeps through the night but she has to go every hour sometimes 2 times in an hour. He tested her urine and other then high alkaline levels he said she didn't have a urinary tract infection. He did put her on antibiotics due to the high level of alkaline.
    It hasn't made a difference in her as far as her frequency, so will she outgrow this or is this normal?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Is she drinking excessively as well?

I'd love to hear someone comment on the nipping of the vulva - not sure why the size of it would matter one bit. Unless there is a physiological reason - I'd not do an extra procedure on her.

Are you going to allow her to go through one heat before you spay?
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

CindersMyGirl is offline Senior Member

Cinder had to go a lot when she was a puppy and had many UTI's. But her vulva was inverted. Sometimes after their first heat it will *pop* and they won't have further problems. It sounds like your dogs vulva is the opposite.

I know nothing about that, but would advise you to research it before you have your dog spayed. Had I known, I would've let Cinder have one heat to see if it helped.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

I have never heard of what your vet says. Are you sure she doesn't have a recessed vulva and vet called it by the wrong term and is actually planning to do a vulvoplasty? (which I personally would not do unless as a last resort to stop chronic UTIs)

Here are pics of RVs so you can compare to your pup and what I do to prevent UTIs in RV pups.

http://www.heartypet.com/blog/?p=47

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

HK had to pee a lot as a pup and had/has and inverted or topped vulva. Vet said the same thing. When the time came, I decided not to address the inverted or tipped vulva. Vet and I had words. HK is just fine. I am convinced this vet was simply out to collect an additional fee. We have since switched vets, and the new one sees no reason to do anything regarding the tip or inverted vulva. Her comment was, even if there was an intent to breed, she has been spayed, that there should not be an issue.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

I agree with your new vet not doing the surgery. For a pup with RV that was spayed prior to first heat - cranberry caps work great to keep UTIs away - even for life to avoid the surgery if need be.

Vets that push vulvoplasty (especially those that spay a RV pup prior to heat) need to educate themselves on the condition and be willing to consider a holistic approach to avoid over use of antibiotics.

Thanks everyone for all the replies and the pictures Patty. Bella doesn't not have an inverted vulva, it just appears larger then most I guess. She is doing well now and yes we are very active and so she drinks a lot as most labs do, but I am not going to let the vet do anything other then spay her, I don't see a reason for it.
    Also sorry that I haven't replied sooner, we moved to a new apartment and got rear ended on the highway yesterday. Went to the hospital, I have whiplash, hubby has lower back pain and the car well let's just say the car didn't fair too well. But I thank the Lord that we weren't hurt worse and that Bella wasn't in the backseat, she would have been hurt!!

One last thing, we were going to get Bella Mia spayed before her first heat, is that alright or not?

Her drinking a lot could be the reason for all the urination. I don't think I would use antibiotic for high alkaline. And I don't see that being the cause for her urinating often either.

Try apple cider viniger to lower the alkaline

http://74.125.113.132/search?q=cache...&ct=clnk&gl=us

If you are absolutely sure she does not have a recessed vulva there is no reason not to spay her. I also agree with not letting the vet touch her vulva. The size does not matter at all. He sounds a bit nuts wanting to do surgery because she has a larger than average vulva.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I am still wondering why the vet would give antibiotics for a high level of alkaline. When a dog has an infection does it also have a high level of alkaline? My initial gut reaction is NO, so why give the medication.

Labs love water, and tend to drink alot. Jack drinks alot. But I wouldn't necessarily believe that she has to potty alot. I tend to say "who has to go potty" and both Jack and Jed run to the door like they really have to go BAD. I could say it every 1/2 an hour and they would go out every 1/2 hour and pee, if I let them. Some dogs will tell you they have to go, just to get outside and fart around. So remember, you might just be being played by your pup.
    Last edited by Canyon Labradors; 09-24-2009 at 05:02 PM.

Well I know that the Bella isn't playing us, she is now letting us know when she needs to go out and when she urinates it is for a long time. But it is getting better, she holds it much longer so perhaps it was just she was too young to hold it so long. She sure is a great dog and we are so happy to have her in our lives and hearts!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast