Warts in mouth...please help!

Thread: Warts in mouth...please help!

ugadawg1696 is offline Member

DefaultWarts in mouth...please help!

My dog Lucy is 7 months and I noticed about 4-5 days ago that she had a little white bump on the inside of her lip. I just figured it was a fever blister or bump but her daycare told me yesterday she has warts in her mouth. They pulled her lips back and they are several on her gums and inside her mouth. I looked it up on the internet and it looks like it's canine papilloma virus and there is really nothing you can do but wait until they fall off. Has anybody ever had a problem like this? I am kind of worried about her, I don't want them to get her in throat and I don't want her to give them to me! I don't think she could give them to me since it is the canine version of the virus, but any advice would be so helpful! Thanks!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Garth is offline Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by ugadawg1696 View Post
    I looked it up on the internet and it looks like it's canine papilloma virus and there is really nothing you can do but wait until they fall off.
    Don't try & diagnose a problem by "looking it up on the net". There could be multiple illnesses that display the same symptoms & you could be treating the wrong one. The consequences being at best - nothing because the treatment you chose has no effect because you're treating the wrong thing through to making it worse thus prolonging the time it takes to cure & possibly death.

There's only one person who can accurately diagnose & treat a problem & that's your vet. I suggest you see him/her ASAP.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Puff had them. Glad I had this book:

Giffin & Carlson, "The Dog Owner's Home Veterinary Handbook" (3rd Edition) say:

"Oral papillomas are painless warts that grow on the lips and in the mouths of dogs younger than two years old....

"Oral papillomas usually spontaneously disappear in 6-12 weeks. If they fail to do so, they can be removed by surgery, freezing, or electrocautery. Chemotherapy is effective in the case of numerous lesions. The dog's immune system makes antibodies that prevent reinfection."

Last edited by Bob Pr.; 09-16-2009 at 01:13 PM. Reason: correct misspelling; add comment
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

brody is offline Senior Member

you still should have it looked at by a vet - my first instinct was papilloma but even moderator Bob ain't a vet - and even if he were he can't diagnosis on the net

unless you are sure what it is it is probably worth a quick look just to make sure of the diagosis - also they can cause problems depending on where they are in the mouth - I would want it monitored in case it was in a risky place
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

Thank you all for your advice! I took called her vet and explained what was going on and her vet said that it was canine papilloma virus. However, she now has a wart on her foot (kind of on one of her toes) and another one coming up. The first one that appeared about 4 days ago busted today while she was at daycare, they got the bleeding stopped but I am still a little worried as to why she would have warts on her feet

Puff, as I said, had them during her first year (when I took her to the vets at K-State's CollVetMed for every little thing).

Having looked up the oral papilloma virus, I was not concerned about that but was taking her in for something else, don't remember what it was.

We saw a new (to us) vet and he noticed her mouth warts and suggested I schedule an appointment to have them surgically removed!

But, having previously read about them in G&C and knowing they almost always go away on their own, I declined -- and saved spending several unecessary Benjamins (US $100 bills have the engraving of Benjamin Franklin's face on them, hence the sobriquet "Benjamin").

I don't know about the wart on the foot BUT I suspect it, like the ones in the mouth, will vanish when the immune system catches up -- give it 6 weeks, according to G&C.

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

On the same page with Bob on the oral warts, but I would have a vet take a look at both mouth and feet. Wouldn't you love to hear that they will go away on their own and its nothing to worry about.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

I sure hope they will! I went to the book store to look for that book that Bob was talking about but couldn't find it It sounds like it could be of use to me! Lucy has an appointment at the vet tomorrow to get them looked at (just to be safe)! I will let ya'll know what they say! Thanks again for the help!

brody is offline Senior Member

yikes foot and mouth lesions together make me a little nervous - glad the vet thought the oral ones were papillomas too
    they shouldn't spread like that though unless your dog is quite immune comprimised so i'd get a quick look see
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

I went to the book store to look for that book that Bob was talking about but couldn't find it It sounds like it could be of use to me
    It sure would.

The 4th edition is available from Amazon for about $22 (+ S&H)

http://www.amazon.com/Dog-Owners-Hom...3848657&sr=1-1

I have the 3rd edition and some are available used from about $9 (+ S&H)

http://www.amazon.com/Dog-Owners-Hom...3848855&sr=1-1

Either will be well worth it to you and your pet, saving you much worry and
    money and your Lab needless delays or interventions.

Every dog owner should have one to refer to, every Lab should come with one.