room clearing farts

Thread: room clearing farts

Defaultroom clearing farts

Ok - so - Diesel has been on the same food for almost a year (Wellness Core) and rarely eats anything else, including treats or table scraps.

He has never had a farting problem while on Wellness until this week but now he is practically unbearable. Like a cabbage factory.

Ideas on why and what I can do about it? We are heading to relatives this week and he is going to make quite an impression if I can't get him straightened out.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: room clearing farts

I don't know if Beano or Gas-X (anti-fart pills for humans) would be safe for dogs.

It could be your Diesel has something similar to lactose tolerance/intolerance in humans (and also dogs). Maybe not specifically lactose tolerance/intolerance but something like it.

E.g., in their younger years both humans and dogs have a tolerance for lactose (an ingredient in all dairy products). Lactose intolerance produces much intestinal gas (&/or cramps and other intestinal distress).

Those people with genes descended from cultures which typically kept dairy cattle and used dairy products for many foods (e.g., cheeses) often retain lactose tolerance for many years, often all their lives or into middle age before losing it.

In those cultures (some Asian, e.g.) which did not typically use dairy products for much of their daily food, people typically lose their lactose tolerance in childhood -- i.e., a bit after they'd stop nursing (which, in many of these cultures, was after about 3 years of age).

Puff, in her younger years, was lactose tolerant. I'd feed her daily pills of G&C and Fish Oil (+ any Rx'ed meds) by smearing the tab or cap into cream cheese and she'd gulp it down the hatch. But then when she was about 2 or 3 y.o., she began tooting and scenting the air.

Since I'd recently gone through the same symptoms myself (and take a lactase pill to digest it whenever I eat milk, cheese, ice cream, etc.), I switched Puff to using peanut butter instead of the cream cheese and her production of sound effects and air scenting stopped.

SO, it might be that some food ingedient that Diesel WAS formerly tolerant to, he has now "outgrown" or lost his tolerance to.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

A cabbage factory huh? :vomit: Poor you and poor Diesel! I feed Casey Wellness Core and generally have been very pleased with the food but as I sit here and think about it I was noticing some gas from her recently. I think it was the last bag? Perhaps the last batch I fed and the batch you are feeding Diesel is different? Subpar? I am probably opening a can of worms by making that statement......
    Of course I am also seriously considering the making the change to raw.
    How do you store the food? I found that the container I was storing the food in had some airholes and I think the food stays fresher longer now since I changed that.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Well, now that you mention it, Kodi, who is on Wellness Core has had paint peeling gas recently too....hmmmmmmmm

Your dogs on which formula? Kodi is on the Chicken formula

VTEnviro is offline Senior Member

My dog ate a bunch of kelp and probably a rotting seashell or two at the beach a few months back. We had a nice long drive home in a small, enclosed car and he damn near burnt a hole in the seat with his farts. They smelled like a fish market.

Quote Originally Posted by Belles mom
    Well, now that you mention it, Kodi, who is on Wellness Core has had paint peeling gas recently too....hmmmmmmmm

Your dogs on which formula? Kodi is on the Chicken formula
    Yeah he is on the Chicken Formula. I am also giving him the Wellness Treats, venison - and stopped those a few days ago. I had forgotten about them when I first posted on this. He is a little less fragrant now. But occasionally lets loose another SBD. I sure hope that Wellness has not done something to the formula. I really do not want to change foods.

amazongold is offline Senior Member

I feed our boys the fish version of Wellness CORE and it's the first food that neither of them have been gassy on. I sure as hell hope they haven't changed anything!
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog
    Ok - so - Diesel has been on the same food for almost a year (Wellness Core) and rarely eats anything else, including treats or table scraps.

He has never had a farting problem while on Wellness until this week but now he is practically unbearable. Like a cabbage factory.

Ideas on why and what I can do about it? We are heading to relatives this week and he is going to make quite an impression if I can't get him straightened out.
    hmm could it be that Diesel needs his anal glands cleaned? Buck has had times where he's let out some NASTY farts and come to find out his glands needed cleaning. Has Diesel scooted his butt around recently? That's another sign I have gotten from Buck about his glands needing clearing out.
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

Quote Originally Posted by Buckyball

hmm could it be that Diesel needs his anal glands cleaned? Buck has had times where he's let out some NASTY farts and come to find out his glands needed cleaning. Has Diesel scooted his butt around recently? That's another sign I have gotten from Buck about his glands needing clearing out.
    Nope - and it is not that sort of fragrance. It smells just like cabbage. A truckload of long simmering cabbage.

He is doing it a lot less and I think that the Venison treats may have been the culprit.

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Buckyball

Nope - and it is not that sort of fragrance. It smells just like cabbage. A truckload of long simmering cabbage.

He is doing it a lot less and I think that the Venison treats may have been the culprit.
    Sorry! I just burst out laughing reading the "A truckload of long simmering cabbage" line....PHEW!!! stinkaaayy!!! :vomit:

Glad to hear things are getting better though.
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3