Demodectic mange

Thread: Demodectic mange

DefaultDemodectic mange

Shiner has mange, poor puppy. The good news is if there is a good mange he has it. Demodectic mange is inherited from his mother and can be treated with a dip every 2 weeks for 4 treatments. It is not contagious so he can continue to go the day care and be around other dogs. That is the good news, the bad news is no water activities, no swimming, no playing in the pond, no playing in the rain and it is going to be tough for the next 2 month on him and me. He loves to go to the park and dive into the lake and swim around. At least it was not the other type of mange which is contagious to other pets and humans. We'll make it through this but it is going to be a long 2 month.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

joflake is offline Senior Member

I'm sorry for Shiner! Willy had it when we got him too. Some websites say it is contagious and some say it's not. Well, Libby ended up with it too, so I'm not sure whether it was a mis-diagnosis or not. Even so, your pups immune system needs to get stronger to fight this off, so I'd be careful of being around other dogs. I wouldn't want him to catch something from them. JMO.