epilepsy
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: epilepsy

Defaultepilepsy

This morning bandit had a seizure, his first one I'm assuming I took him to the vet and all his bloodwork was normal, I know there is no cause for his siezures but I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this? If so, what should I do or expect? Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

brody is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: epilepsy

hopefully you'll figure out if he seizes often enough to need meds .. or not
    and hopefully you'll get things in balance so that he rarely (or never) has attacks ...

sadly time is the best predictor of what living with an epileptic will be like - I've never known two to be the same
    hang in there and good luck sorting it all out -

has the vet recommended meds at this point or just a wait and see approach?
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

Make sure that he is tested for Lyme. My dog had seizures that were Lyme related. It is fairly uncommon but it happpens.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

If you're not too far from Philadelphia, UPenn CollVetMed is one of the best in the world, has some of the top diagnostic and treatment services, and does take self-referrals. For more info, see:

http://www.vet.upenn.edu/
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member

I had a lab that had genetic epilepsy. When he had the second seizure I called his breeder. They had recently found out that his father had it (late onset...he was neutered and his show career ended) and they traced it back to a grandsire from England.
    Anyway, Travis only had 2-3 seizures a year and they were somewhere between petit mal and grand mal so we opted not to use medication on him. Other than a terrible thing to watch it wasn't a real issue to deal with.
    Good Luck

thank you all for your replies. The vet said she checked for everything possible (Lyme, liver failure, etc.) We are just going to watch him and keep track of how many he has and how often, she wants me to get back to her in 3 months. If he has more than 1 a month she is going to put him on meds.

when this happened my husband had just gotten home from work. When bandit saw him he jumped out of bed and was running to him and all the sudden he froze and fell on his side. we thought he hurt himself but then when I got to him I realized it was a siezure. Does anyone think that his being really excited could have triggered it? just a thought.

ruff n tumble crew is offline Senior Member

Abrupt arousal from a deep sleep can be a trigger for seizure activity. Hopefully your guy won't have frequent or severe seizures. As already said, only time will tell.

MSUlady is offline Senior Member

Be careful with watching to establish seizure frequency before treating. There has been recent research that suggests that the more seizures an animal has, the more likely it is that they will have more later on in life. It's called the "kindling effect."

Otis - the most trusting dog on Earth.

jazzypad1 is offline Member

My four year old lab began to have "seizure"-like episodes two years ago. They are nearly always triggered by excitement, and often he is running towards the cause of the excitement when his legs go like spaghetti and he goes down. He remains fully conscious and responsive during the episode - which can last anything from a couple of mins up to 25 mins. Then he gets up and runs around as if nothing had happened. At first vets thought this could be an unusual type of epilepsy - but was eventually diagnosed as paroxysmal dyskinesia.

http://s303.photobucket.com/albums/n...t=525d71c4.pbr

June and Monty

Quote Originally Posted by jazzy
    My four year old lab began to have "seizure"-like episodes two years ago. They are nearly always triggered by excitement, and often he is running towards the cause of the excitement when his legs go like spaghetti and he goes down. He remains fully conscious and responsive during the episode - which can last anything from a couple of mins up to 25 mins. Then he gets up and runs around as if nothing had happened. At first vets thought this could be an unusual type of epilepsy - but was eventually diagnosed as paroxysmal dyskinesia.

http://s303.photobucket.com/albums/n...t=525d71c4.pbr

June and Monty
    Thank you for the videos! that is exactly how bandit's was, he was conscious the whole time. He whined a little but I think he was just scared. Im going to ask my vet about the paroxysmal dyskinesia. thank you

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast