Does anybody know anything about Metacam?

Thread: Does anybody know anything about Metacam?

CoCosMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultDoes anybody know anything about Metacam?

My husband's boss told him she swears by Metacam as an anti-inflammatory for her dogs' joints. He thinks we should give it a try on CoCo, as she seems to be having issues in her back legs. I've never heard of it. I'm about to do some research on-line, but thought I would check here as well.
    ~Jo & CoCo

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MSUlady is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Does anybody know anything about Metacam?

Meloxicam (generic name for Metacam) is a COX inhibitor NSAID. It works in the same way as Carprofen, Firocoxib, Rimadyl, etc. It's slightly more COX-2 selective, so that means that some of the gastrointestinal side effects seen with NSAIDs can be less severe. As with any of the NSAIDs, kidney and liver damage can result if you overdose or your animal is sensitive to it. That is rare, however, when the drug is given correctly. It's a good drug.

Talk to your vet about it. S/He should be willing to work with you to 1) figure out what's going on with CoCo's hind limbs and 2) find the right drug to help her out.

Otis - the most trusting dog on Earth.

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Hi Jo!
    We used it for Sammy for the last, oh, year or so of his life. It was a tremendous help, I think. Talk to you vet first though, obviously.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I've used it on Derby occasionally and I like it. Works quickly, too. Once a day dosing. Didn't want to go the Rimadyl route, so my vet gave me Metacam.

Hi, Ted has been on it every day since he was 4mths old for his elbows. It is meant to be used as a short-term anti-inflammatory, we are now classed as longterm users and after 2 years we need to find alternatives my Vet is a great support and always tells us about side effects etc.

My last dog was prescribed it as well, but the problem was it started to shut her organs down and she had to be pts so please, make sure it is right for the condition and try to keep it as a small dose, short-term use if possible.

With Ted right now I have no alternative (but won't hijack your post see my update!)

millstonekennel is offline Senior Member

I would talk to your vet about it and do show bloodwork before using it. I use it on my 13 yrs old just about every day for over a year no problems, my 10 yr old I use it every now and then and my 13.5 yr old I use it every now and then.
    Alicia

CoCosMom is offline Senior Member

Thanks guys. DH emailed our vet, the vet said its something we would consider in the future if our current efforts (getting some weight off, supplements, and leashed walks) for CoCo don't help. Hopefully it won't come to that though! She hasn't been limping in weeks, but we haven't had her on a hard run in that long either!
    ~Jo & CoCo

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Ernie was on Metacam.

Swimming is also very good for joint issues. Also no hard runs and gentle excersies and weight loss have made a difference with Erns hips. I do 30 mins walk every day.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

brody is offline Senior Member

I hate to even say it as it was a very rare thing but my absolutely darling golden Rufus died when his liver completely shut down after being exposed to a toxin ...

the ONLY thing that was at all different (we don't use pesticides, herbicides, posion, nothing) was that about three weeks prior to the liver shut down he had three days worth of metacam ...

I use metacam still when needed but I do my best to avoid it
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller