Puppy Food

Thread: Puppy Food

DefaultPuppy Food

I am new here. So please don't flame me, I know in tech. forums you can get hit hard. I am getting my first lab in about 6 weeks. I helped my old roomate in college raise a lab (best friend I ever had) on Iams and he nearly didn't make it. I would like to know if anyone has had a negative side effects from Wolf Cub LBP, Wellness LBP, or Orijen LBP. I know there is an argument about the protein level in Orijen but, there website makes a convincing argument. I have reviewed about every website and I have come to the opinion that these are more than likely the three best to cycle on. Any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Puppy Food

On my own personal opinion I would feed the Wellness as my first choice and Wolf Cub second. I would not feed the orijen.
    My reasoning is because it is to high protein for my personal liking and I think too calorie dense for a growing puppy. I believe their should be a balance of calories, protein, fat, calcium and phosphorus. With calories/fat and protein being in a moderate range.
    I also believe this should be fed for at least 7-10 months if not a full year.
    Kim

What is the puppy being raised on? I would stick with that for at least a couple of weeks. I've tried all three of those brands and wasn't happy...I couldn't get solid stool on wellness (regular puppy, not LB) or Wolf Cub and had a puppy with Pano, on orijen he'd limp, off he was fine (protein too high). I've had great results with pro plan (regular puppy) until 4-5 months and then switching to regular adult. I now have everyone on california natural (except Piper) and haven't decided if I'll be going back to proplan puppy or will try california natural puppy.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by JacksAndLabs
    I now have everyone on california natural
    What happened to the Sensible Choice?

Laura

Quote Originally Posted by labby
    What happened to the Sensible Choice?
    Something's going on with the co....their website's been down for a month or so and my stores no longer were carrying the big (40lb) bags consistantly. I was also feeding more than I'd like and Darwin wasn't holding wieght. So, back on the coaster...I might just be going back to Pro Plan come january

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

I am switching all my crew over to Diamond Naturals Chicken Rice. I found I like the ingredients better and it is better for my budget.
    I will still keep the pups on PP until I switch them to adult. Lily is already eating the DN Extreme Athlete. Though I did consider Chicken Soup for the pups.
    Kim

What does everyone think of the Innova LB puppy? Not the EVO. I checked the protein and calcium contents and they seem in line with what is recommended for pups.

White Springs Midnight Black Coupe de Ville
    aka "Cooper"
    "I have a simple philosophy. Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. And scratch were it itches." ~ Alice Roosevelt Longworth

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

In my opinion, when it comes to kibble you cant get any better than orijen. If I ever fed kibble again, orijen would be it.

Innova is a good food as well, but I'm pretty partial to orijen.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Thank you for your posts. I think that I will consult with the breeder too. I called the vet that I picked, they said to go with Iams. OMG I think I have been here before. To be honest I think that I all three are going to be great foods. Orijen is a great food but there is not a local dealer. If he has issues withe either at least I know that I have done the research on have a top three. I just pray there are no allergies.