Traditonal Repair for a CCL tear

Thread: Traditonal Repair for a CCL tear

ShoreA is offline Member

DefaultTraditonal Repair for a CCL tear

Has anyone gotten the Traditional Extracapsular repair done for their dog with a CCL tear over the TPLO or TTA? If so, how is your dog doing now? If not, why?

Tide's surgeon feels that the Traditional repair is a better option, if it turns out to be a CCL tear, then the others being she is so young. Opinions?

Thanks in advance
    Amanda and Tide, CGC
    ]

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Mygirls2 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Traditonal Repair for a CCL tear

My girl Sophie had traditional repair done on both legs (4 months apart) when she was between one and two years old. She lived to be 14 and never had a problem with either leg.

Dani is offline Senior Member

Wait, I thought Tide had OCD...not CCL....did I miss something? I was told always to go with tradtional.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ShoreA is offline Member

Dani, we still don't know at this point, but if it is a CCL tear, then I need to choose what procedure they will do on her because when they scope Tide, that is when they are doing the surgery. Sorry for the confusion. Crap, I confuse myself
    Amanda and Tide, CGC
    ]

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

We did the traditional and I would do it again.
    Kim

Labs4me is offline Senior Member

I have had 2 traditional repairs done on 2 different dogs. Both dogs did well until they passed on.
    Bonnie ~ Ellsworth Labradors
    Home to Ellsworth's Playing For Keeps CGC, U-CH SHR Ellsorth's Absolut Pleasure, Ellsworth's Good Luck Charm
    Gone but not forgotten: Franklin's Lucy of Ellsworth; Franklin's Rare Treat; U-CD Franklin's Rockin' Robin CDX, WC, CGC; Alpha-Omega's Mustang Salli CDX, CGC

blaisberg is offline Member

Evan has had both legs done. The first was traditional because "back then" I didn't feel there was sufficient data to evaluate the long term effects of TPLO. His leg is stable but he has a lot of arthritis. I chose TPLO for his second leg and I think it is a superior result. The plate that stabilized his leg made the healing period a little easier (on the traditional, even on a leash he'd try to butt tuck and that was a huge issue when trying to get the scar tissue to build up over the nylon line that is now essentially playing the role of his ligament). Also, it seems that the reason he tore his CCLs was the angle of his knee was too steep which the TPLO fixes.
    If my other dog were to need CCL repair, I would not consider traditional. I'd either go for TPLO or perhaps investigate TTA which may be less invasive. But I have zero regrets on TPLO. I'd highly recommend you use the Orthodogs group to get more information on the different types of repair before making a decision, though, rather than this board even though a few of us are here as well.

we chose the traditional repair for charlie because the vet reccomended it, that was nearly 2 years ago and so far so good, no problems at all. ask your vet what he would reccomend, good luck!

ShoreA is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by blaisberg
    Evan has had both legs done. The first was traditional because "back then" I didn't feel there was sufficient data to evaluate the long term effects of TPLO. His leg is stable but he has a lot of arthritis. I chose TPLO for his second leg and I think it is a superior result. The plate that stabilized his leg made the healing period a little easier (on the traditional, even on a leash he'd try to butt tuck and that was a huge issue when trying to get the scar tissue to build up over the nylon line that is now essentially playing the role of his ligament). Also, it seems that the reason he tore his CCLs was the angle of his knee was too steep which the TPLO fixes.
    If my other dog were to need CCL repair, I would not consider traditional. I'd either go for TPLO or perhaps investigate TTA which may be less invasive. But I have zero regrets on TPLO. I'd highly recommend you use the Orthodogs group to get more information on the different types of repair before making a decision, though, rather than this board even though a few of us are here as well.
    Thank you! Tide already had her surgery done last Wednesday. I went with the Traditional on the advice from my surgeon as well as the Yahoo Orthodogs group. I can definitely understand you when you say the butt tucking still happens even when on leash. It's not very easy to keep her calm, and she's not an overly hyper Lab. I'm hoping she heals nicely and she's back to normal in a few months. Thanks again!
    Amanda and Tide, CGC
    ]