Bad Case of the Runs

Thread: Bad Case of the Runs

DefaultBad Case of the Runs

Hey guys I was hoping for some feedback. My 7 month old Lab Flash has the most violent case of the diarrhea I have ever seen. Poor thing even went in his crate last night and slept in it.

He is fulled inoculated. He has no temp. Called the vet who came by and he thinks he might have ingested something that just did not agree with him. I had given him his dewormer Drontal Plus. Could this have caused it?

He is famished too from the diarrhea. So I have ground up some cooked chicken and rice - mixed that with some of his kibble. Also given him some non-fat natural yogurt. Anyone heard of giving Immodium?

Since we are Argentina our medical options are limited. The vet asked me to take a stool sample for three days in a row. He will then test it for parasites but he is pretty sure not.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Bad Case of the Runs

I would just feed chicken and rice - no kibble and no yogurt - you need to make this very simple and easy to digest. Make sure that he stays hydrated too. Imodium may help, but I have never used it so I would not know what dosage to advise.

Okay then I will try that. I was trying to keep it simple...but it's furmama guilt. He never prances for food but today I thought he was going to countertop surf if I did not give him some more.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

How is he doing?

I would give only chicken and rice for at least two days. He should always have water available. When his stools firm up, you can start easing some kibble into the chicken and rice then gradually increase the kibble and back off the chicken and rice as long as his stools remain firm.

I wouldn't use immodium.

Shane23 is offline Senior Member

two tablespoons pure canned pumpkin has always helped by dogs when they had diarrhea, I also decrease their food.
    Laura

Summerlin's Inspired by Armani CD (Shane)