Help picking a new food

Thread: Help picking a new food

DefaultHelp picking a new food

I need to find Fergus a new food. He's been on Eagle Packs Holistic Chicken & Rice since adulthood (appox. 2yrs.) and was on their Puppy Formula before that. It's been increasingly difficult to find Eagle Pack locally and have been getting it special ordered for the last year. Last time we picked him up a bag they had increased the price so now it's costing us over $70 a bag I don't really have any issue with paying more money for a good food, but $70+ hit us alittle hard and with the hassle of special ordering it all the time we thought maybe we'd see if there was something else out there???

I don't have a lot of knowledge on dog food and what makes a good one & what doesn't and could use some help. Any suggestions would be great! Fergus is not at all picky and hasn't had any issues with sensitivities of any sort. There just seems to be so many to choose from nowadays & it's a bit overwhelming! Also, what do the fat & protein % mean??? Is there certain numbers that I should be focused on?? Fergus is young (3yrs) and pretty active & well exercised if that makes a difference!

Thanks for any suggestions you could offer!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

millstonekennel is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Help picking a new food

What food's can you get in your area?
    Alicia

Pretty much anything...other then the large sized bag of Holistic Chicken from Eagle Pack!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I believe that Orijen is a Canadian based dog food company, so I would imagine that sourcing it wouldn't be a problem for you. However, their formulas are all (I think -- not too sure, as I don't feed it) grain free. As you say that Fergus doesn't haven't any sensitvity problems, I doubt switching from grain to grain free food would be too much of an issue for him.

If you want to stick with a food similar to what you are feeding now, something like Natures Variety might work. I know they do a Chicken and Rice formula which is probably very similar to Eagle Pack. Canidae and California Natural also do good Chicken and Rice ones.

As for protein, it really depends. I admit that I don't really notice any differences in my dogs whether they are on high (30%) or low (20%) protien foods. Even when I fed all raw for a little while, which is HIGH protein, their energy levels remained the same. Most maintenance foods are generally between 20-26% which probably suits most pet dogs.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Orijen is a fantastic food. If I were to ever feed kibble again (not likely, but for arguments' sake) it would be at the very top of my list.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

I switched my dog to Pro Plan. A lot of people on this site feed their dogs this. He has done really well on it. Lots of energy. Bright shiny coat. And he loves it. And it costs $37 for a 40 pound bag. I'd go broke if I was paying 70 for a bag like you. I'd recommend pro plan if it is available in your area.

Here's an article that will hopefully shed (am I wrong for using the word "shed" on a dog site?) some light on your question...

http://www.dog-names-and-more.com/Dog-Nutrition.html

Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Lab Boy
    Here's an article that will hopefully shed (am I wrong for using the word "shed" on a dog site?) some light on your question...

http://www.dog-names-and-more.com/Dog-Nutrition.html

Good Luck!
    Hi Lab Boy -

We welcome actual advice posted here as opposed to self promotion. Your nutrition page is not really all that informative BTW.