Food for my Lab

Thread: Food for my Lab

DefaultFood for my Lab

Hello to all

Brewster will be 2yrs old next week!! and I am currently feeding him Flint River Ranch Adult Nugget. I know this isn't probably the best dog feed for my lab. So my question is what would be the best dog food for him, besides raw or holistic dog food? I live in a remote rural area in West Texas and I am a good two hours from a reputable vendor -so I order my dog food online. Any suggestions would help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Food for my Lab

Flint River isn't a bad food but Taste of the Wild would be much better. It's not quite as kcalorie dense (fewer kcals/cup) so you'd possibly need to feed a bit more.

http://www.tasteofthewildpetfood.com/

My Puff eats Kirkland Chicken, Rice & Vegetables from Costco warehouse clubs. It's similar to Diamond Naturals
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Shane23 is offline Senior Member

You will probably receive many different answers, each dog is an individual and will react to food differently. I have two labs, Clarence is 12 and I could feed him anything and he'd adjust well. Shane was on Canidae all life stages since coming from the breeder, he did fine on it, but when they switched the formula, he started itching. I'm in the process of transitioning him to EVO, I have to move slow with Shane because if I don't he gets the very loose stools. Both dogs love the food. Good Luck.
    Laura

Summerlin's Inspired by Armani CD (Shane)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

Jake eats EVO - but as many on this board will tell you - the best dog food is the food your dog does the best eating. It's not a one-size-fits-all equation. If your dog has a fine coat, good stools, clean ears, and keeps weight on the Flint River Ranch there's really no reason to change

For those interested these are the ingredients int he Adult and Puppy Formula of FRR (477 kcal/cup, Ca 1.5%, P 1.0%)

INGREDIENTS: Chicken Meal, Whole Wheat Flour, Ground Rice, Lamb Meal, Poultry Fat (Preserved with Tocopherols and Ascorbic Acid), Ground Whole Wheat, Flax Seed, Dried Whole Egg, Lecithin, Fish Meal, Inactive Dried Brewer's Yeast, Wheat Germ Meal, Dried Kelp, Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Monosodium Phosphate, Choline Chloride, Ferrous Sulfate, DL-Alpha Tocopherol Acetate (Source of Vitamin E), Zinc Oxide, Sodium Selenite, Manganous Oxide, Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B2), Copper Sulphate, Amino Acid Chelates of Zinc, Iron, Manganese, Copper and Cobalt, Niacin, Ascorbic Acid (Source of Vitamin C), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, D-Biotin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Source of Vitamin B6), Calcium Iodate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement.

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

Malcarjaz is offline Senior Member

Hi, new to the forum

Just thought you mite be interested in this site. Tells you everything that is any food from wet to dry and gives ratings from 1 to 6 being the highest rank. here is the site http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com

Good Luck
    Carrie~
    Mom to~
    Binghamton 11/07/08~ Lab
    Roxy 06/02/07~ JRT/Cocker mix
    Gia 05/10/04~ JRT

Dani is offline Senior Member

I agree with the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." Flint River Ranch is a decent food. If your dog is doing well on it, stay with it.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

Do you have a feed store nearby? There are many quality foods you can get at a feed supply store.
    That is, if you absolutely want to switch.
    Kim

I am a big lover of Merrick dog foods. Flash loves it and it has some really good stuff in it too. He has one of th best coats ever. Merrick is from Texas - so it is available at any feed store you have. The food is all sourced in the US. If you go on their website www.merrickpetcare.com you can have it drop shipped to you for free!