limping

Thread: limping

kepinkham is offline Junior Member

Defaultlimping

Bo came in from playing in the yard today, he is limping on his left front paw. We got him to lay down (of course tail wagging violently), so I'm guessing he isn't in dire pain... Anyway, we checked his paw, felt our way up his arm, and the elbow, all "seems" fine, of course we do not have xray vision. He showed no signs of discomfort when we were feeling around, could he have just sprained his paw? Should we wait 24 hours before getting him to the vet?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: limping

Put an ice pack on it for 20 minutes three or four times a day for a couple of days. Restrict his movement to only going to the bathroom. Is he able to put weight on it? If so wait a couple of days. Even if he is symptom free I would limit him to just walks for about a week. It's easier to be safe than sorry.
    Olie

yes rest it.

I say rest three times as many days as it takes for the limp to go away. I had to do this with my six month old fireball, rough week and a half but good training for him to learn he doesn't always have to be on the move

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

addecus is offline Junior Member

Please excuse me for hijaking on this thread but my 6 month old has started limping too after some swimming and hard play. He doesn't show it hardly except when he gets up from a nap or sleep, then he will limp for a few steps on his right front leg. Also he is ultra active always wanting to run and play. It's been a few days now and I worry about it.

Garth is offline Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by addecus
    Please excuse me for hijaking on this thread but my 6 month old has started limping too after some swimming and hard play. He doesn't show it hardly except when he gets up from a nap or sleep, then he will limp for a few steps on his right front leg. Also he is ultra active always wanting to run and play. It's been a few days now and I worry about it.
    I think given your pups age, you should get to a vet ASAP.

Dani is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by garthc
    Quote Originally Posted by addecus
    I think given your pups age, you should get to a vet ASAP.
    I agree 10000 %
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

I agree. DO NOT ignore a problem and 'rest up' a breeder friend of mine is kicking herself for not getting her 5 month old puppy in for a minor limp, now she's been diagnosed with a fracture that has been healing for 3 weeks, and needs to be rebroken.

Don't ignore it. You have no idea what is wrong in there.

addecus is offline Junior Member

Koa got up with no noticable limp today.Vet saw him this am and checked him out. Said to rest a week and see if it improves. If not come in for Xrays. It's so hard to keep him from jumpin upon and off the bed, scootin thru the halls and up and down the stairs. If kept in his crate during the day he cries and whimpers. I'll try my best. Thanks for all your help. PS after searching this forum, I'm amazed at the amount of our Labs that have a limping episode.