Ticks!!! Yuck!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ticks!!! Yuck!

hark67 is offline Senior Member

DefaultTicks!!! Yuck!

Who else is having the worst time ever with ticks? Specifically deer ticks? I swear I hate, hate, hat those things. I have found no fewer than 5 of the tiny things crawling on Guthrie's neck....sometimes several hours after he has been outside. I guess it takes them that long to make it up to the very desirable neck area.

I will say I thank God I have a YELLOW lab. These buggers are tiny.

Well last night I found a partially engorged one on his neck. I had myself so upset because the darn thing was fat but tiny and I could not get a hold of it to pull it off. I finally resorted to tweezers and ended up breaking off the mouthpiece. I then had to dig it out of Guthrie's inflamed neck. I put H2O2 on it and some neosporin ointment and flushed the cursed headless tick down the toilet. This morning I found another one...just slightly plumped and therefore easily removed. Of course the area is all inflamed as well.

I am so worried about Lyme disease and I know that the Lyme vaccine is controversial. Anyone have any opinions they want to share regarding it?

How about suggestions on the best way to remove a fairly engourged tick safely? Is there some sort of implement? If not, one should be patented right away....tweezers do an awful job.

Anyway, enough of my rant.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Ticks!!! Yuck!

I've seen these Megan:
    http://www.tickedoff.com/

Luckily we really don't get ticks up here. Peanut had one last year and I flipped out, I'd never seen them before! But apparently there's one area (nature reserve) where they pick them up, as we had a few friends whose dogs picked up ticks out there as well. We don't go there anymore. :embarrass:
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Puff has been on Interceptor, we walk offleash every morning for 40-60 minutes in a nearby nature preserve.

I've sometimes gotten many ticks but Puff never has.

Do you have your Yellow Lab on anything like that?
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

hark67 is offline Senior Member

Bob,
    Unless things have changed I thought inteceptor only prevented worms? Is there a new formulation?

I do use front line on him because these ticks are just soooo insanely prevalent in our area as is Lyme disease.

Here is a picture of one of the little buggers from last night. Regular dog ticks are huge compared to these guys.

eeeew Megan, eeeeew!!!!!

Poor Gutherie....

I haven't found a tick on Hens for years now, and the one that he did have was just kinda cruising around on him.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Interceptor just does worms Bob (heart and other).
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

kaznalf is offline Senior Member

Use the sprayable frontline, my ferret had them few weeks ago and vet gave me that and it kills them instantly and they dropped off

Ok now ive just seen in previous reply you dont use frontline so i have no other suggestions lol sorry!

Ugh do I feel your pain!! I think I pull at least one tick a week off Remi....it's horrible. And here in CT we just have not gotten a strong enough cold snap to kill them off (it's November and in the mid-60's today!!). I think the ticks are especially bad this year, I've never had this problem with my other dog in the past and my parents have told me their pulling ticks off him too.

We had Remi vaccinated against Lyme as soon as he got up here. I didn't realize the vaccine was controversial, my vet recommended it and since he's not the type to recommend vaccinating for everything under the sun I figured it was ok...I'll have to do more research on it.

I share your frustration with pulling them off....those little buggers just will not let go!!!! I think they're the hardest to get when they've just latched on...I end up having to dig to get them out because I always break the mouth piece off no matter how careful I am. Poor Remi ends up with huge welts on his neck.

We've been using a flea/tick shampoo for Remi, usually every 10 days or so because the ticks are just SO bad. He's on Advantage which unfortunately only protects against fleas....didn't realize that when I bought it as I had been looking for something that would be safe to use on him with our 2 cats who snuggle up to him from time to time and I had heard K-9 Advatix wasn't. We'll be switching to Frontline next month. The owner of our local feed store suggested the shampooing and said it's safe to use regularly with Frontline, etc. and especially good to use on dogs who swim often (which Remi does) as the water can decrease effectiveness.

Not much help but just wanted to let you know I share your misery. Hopefully we'll get a cold snap soon that will kill those little buggers for good!

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Sorry about my Interceptor mixup and thanks for straightening that out. (Puff doesn't get heartworms or other worms.)

She also gets Frontline Plus every 45 days and has never had ticks or fleas.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

We have a really terrible time with ticks, too. I just pulled an engorged one from behind Shelby's ear this week. I have found that these Tick Nippers do a really good job: http://www.theticknipper.com/ You might also want to try K9 Advantix vs. Frontline ~ it's supposed to repel ticks.

Consider yourself fortunate taht you have a yellow dog ~ I find ticks are impossible to spot on Shelby except by touch. And they very much gross me out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast