Staph infection or something else?? Bumps on head

Thread: Staph infection or something else?? Bumps on head

hark67 is offline Senior Member

DefaultStaph infection or something else?? Bumps on head

Just a quick question for you all. Periodically....maybe every 4 months or so....Guthrie will crop up with several little red bumps on top of his head. It is not all that noticably except for the fact that his hair does not lay perfectly flat and when I look underneath I can see the area is a red and raised. This progresses till the small area seems to ooze(sometimes a little blood) and then crust over making it much more noticable(as it becomes a significantly larger area). The first time I had noticed it I thought he had a tick on his head.

In the past I have just cleaned them up with peroxide and neosporin and they have eventually gone away. They do not appear to bother him in the least. No itching. I reminds me just a bit of the Staph infections bumps that Huckle used to get on his belly/legs. But why just on the top of Guthrie's head?

Has anyone else encountered this? It always clears up on its own but I am wondering if it is something that should be discussed with the vet. I don't want them telling me to put him on antibiotics...it seems like that is kind of over the top for something that clears on its own.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Staph infection or something else?? Bumps on head

Not sure what it is but I would discuss with vet and let him take a look. From past experience staph will not go away without antibiotics.

hark67 is offline Senior Member

Thanks for the reply Danie. I'll see what they say.

Guess it must not be a common problem....you are the only one that replied!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Don't know how common it is but Remi has gotten 2 staph infections since we've had him. Both have been on his belly and hind legs. The first time I saw one of the oozing spots I just about lost my cookies! :vomit: Both times we've had to put him on antibiotics and medicated baths (not fun as they have to be done every other day!). What you're describing though doesn't sound like the pus pockets I've seen on Remi. It DOES sound however like something my Carin gets. Just recently he started having crusty spots, especially on his head and back. The vet said it's almost like an eczema (sp?), just super dry skin patches, we were told to apply antibiotic ointment and just keep an eye on the areas for infection.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Baloo actually had a really mild staph infection, I slathered him with oil of oregano and added some to his food, and he was totally all better within a few days. Wonderful stuff that OoO. LOVE it. 

Also, sometimes recurring staph can indicate an immune issue, so I'd start him on fish oil and pro-biotics if it's a regular thing. Peanut's also on vit. C for her immune issues, and that's helped.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!