ACL Surgery

Thread: ACL Surgery

DefaultACL Surgery

Hello All,

I figured this would be the best place to ask some quick questions about the surgery.

My Shelby just had the traditional ACL surgery on Tuesday. I picked her up yesterday afternoon and she has been doing pretty well (think she might have been more in shock from her first ever kennel experience and a grown dog than anything else).

My vet put a cast on her leg in order to keep her from bending it but the cast has begun to slip down. On top of that her foot is starting to swell pretty badly which I expected.

But what I am wondering is how long did ya'll who have had this surgery completed leave the "soft cast" on your dogs. I'm just thinking since it is slowly sliding down it might be causing the foot to swell even more.

Thanks in advance,

Matt

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

millstonekennel is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: ACL Surgery

It needs to come off or be redone. Please take her to your vet today the swelling in her foot is no good.
    Alicia

I decided just to take it off.

She's a smart dog, she knows what she can and can't do. I think I will re-wrap it tonight when we go to sleep but then take it off again in the morning. I remember when I had my knee all wrapped it, it was nice to take it out and air it out when I could so I will do the same for her.

Going to be a long few weeks. Luckily I can work from home or take her to my office with me starting next week (once she's a little better).

I know she misses her sister though & my other Lab (emma) is a little "crazy" so she has been spending the last 2 days at her grandparents house so Shelby can get some sleep time!

Thanks for your advice,

Matt

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Recovery is not going as well as I wanted

1. She won't eat her food - so my vet told me to take her off some of her meds and then see if she would eat. I have done so & she still won't eat her food.
    2. Since I took her off the Rymadyl to try to get her to eat now her leg seems to be cramping up. So now she's back on that hoping it will help her pain.

This sucks! I feel so bad for her, last night she went to move around & I guess her bad leg cramped up and she started screaming for about 5 minutes, my wife and I had to hold her and massage her leg until it relaxed again.

Before I got the surgery she was walking fine, just had a limp. Someone please remind me why I put my dog through this? To top it off, I think she is depressed also!

Matt

ShoreA is offline Member

Your last post has me so worried. I have my pup scheduled for surgery on Dec 3. We aren't sure yet, until they scope her knee, but if it is a torn ACL then they will be doing the same surgery on my girl I hope your pup recovers quickly. Have you talked to your vet?
    Amanda and Tide, CGC
    ]

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Have you had her back into the vet? It sounds like somethings not right there.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Sorry for my delay getting back to ya'll but I have been busy on Dog Duty!

She is doing better, started to eat her food again, but she still isn't using her "fixed" leg but they say I have another week to go before that happens.

For those of you getting ready to deal with the surgery, just make sure you give your dog extra attention as I now think it is possible for doggie depression.

She's doing better but i can tell she wants to go for a walk or play ball.

Oh well,

Matt